which replacement iron for my No. 3?
I was thinking of getting a Veritas replacement iron and chipbreaker for my Stanley No. 3 plane. Should I get an O1 or the (more expensive) PM-V11 ?
I was involved in a discussion with another WN'er yesterday on this very topic. This is how I summarized the Veritas offerings to him:

If you're asking which is better - A2, O1, PM-V11 - I dunno. They each have their positives and negatives. A2 is supposed to hold an edge longer, but that it is tougher to sharpen. O1 is easy to sharpen, but the edge doesn't last quite as long as A2. The powder-metal PM-V11 is supposed to be in between. In reality, all three are going to be an improvement over the old Stanley iron in your plane. If you are diligent about keeping your irons hones, all three will work just fine.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I've got some PM-V11 blades and I think they are every bit as sharp as O1, and certainly easier to sharpen than A2. They are, however, quite a bit more expensive than O1. If you do a lot of planning with your No. 3, I'd recommend the PM-V11. You can go a lot longer between honings with V11. My a lot, I mean 4-8x longer. If you only use your No. 3 infrequently, or just for touchups, then V11 isn't that much of a benefit, IMO.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree with Allan. However; the PM V11 is well worthwhile if you work abrasive or tough woods like Ipê even occasionally.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I'd spring for the PMV11, myself. Yes, it's more expensive now, but you're not likely to wear out any blade in your lifetime (unless you're in the habit of hand planing old pallet wood or something). I've found it pretty easy to sharpen, and it definitely holds an edge longer than the O1.

For a chisel, I like plain ol' carbon steel because it's simple to touch the edge up on a strop frequently. But on a hand plane, you have to take the blade out, take off the cap iron, hone the iron, then put everything back. And with a smoother, it takes some care to get everything readjusted just right. So I think that a blade that does not require re-honing quite as often is a real advantage.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
PM-V11 I am slowly going to this fine metal on most of my hand tools. I find it easy to sharpen, and don't need to near as often as A2, or O1
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I vote for the O-1. It is a good all around tool steel and works well with the wood that passes through my shop. There are better steels, but they have different characteristics. They work differently and sharpen differently.

All of the vintage planes in my shop have O-1 or something similar. All of the blades and cutters I make are in O-1. My special chisels are O-1. It helps me to have consistency among all tools. For me, sharpening and touch ups are easier if everything is the same.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I have one PM-V11 blade, and I'm not really a fan. My waterstones won't touch it. It holds a edge well, but I dread sharpening it, so I end up putting it off longer than I should. Just give me O1 and I'm happy.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
This is an interesting thread to me as I have an order in at LV (not yet shipped) that includes a new V1 iron and cap iron combo for one of my Stanley #4's. I don't have any aftermarket irons at present and thought this might be a good upgrade that I wouldn't have to sharpen as often.

There are strong recommendations for both the new PM-V11 and the tried and tested O1 variations. Would appreciate any further comments.

BTW, I use a Worksharp for primary sharpening.

Thanks,

Doug
What's the objection to A2? I haven't used the PMV11 but the LV A2 blades I have perform quite admirably. The replacements, a 4, 5, and 6, are certainly light years ahead of the originals.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.