source for brace bits
I ran across an old brace a couple of weeks ago, but only one bit, and while the brace is in decent shape, the bit looks to be pretty much toast. Where can you find bits for a decent price? I'd like to find a set with five or six different sizes, but a good 3/4" would be a great place to start, and would get me by in the short term.

I did find this place: http://www.icscuttingtools.com/Auger.htm Does anybody know about them and whether they're any good?

Thanks,
dow
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Auger brace bits for hardwoods seem to come up moderately often down in SnS. The softwood version augers, other cutting bits, and screwdriver bits seem to be much less common.

Admiral, Dave Parkis, and Steve_F seem to be especially talented at finding them, but there are many other folks here that also find and offer sets here. Once the weather starts cooperating a bit, I would expect their rust-hunting skills to be shared with us here.

If your post here doesn't get you some good offers in PMs, then I would suggest posting a WTB down in SnS.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I 've found them in antique stores and pawn shops at almost give away prices. I've cleaned them with Evaporust and wire wheel .

The most important thing is an auger bit file. Lee Valley has them.

There are two styles of twist "Russell Jennings" and "Irwin ". And coarse and fine feed screw.
A man of foolish pursuits
Be careful what you ask for, if you put two rusty old Russell Jennings auger bits into an empty drawer in two years you'll have a hundred. They multiply! Once you start looking for them, you'll find them everywhere. Just make sure the Spurs are still there (haven't been filed away to stubs) and can be sharpened, and the the cutting edge hasn't been filed on the wrong side by some ham-handed oaf. (Eventually I figured out how to do it right).

In addition to the augur file, Norton sells a Arkansas slip stone for augurs that really makes them sing through hardwoods. The file gets them sharp, but leaves the edge serrated and it dulls quickly, while the edge off of the stone is keen and lasts longer. IMO

They are kind of addicting!

David C
Thanks for the info regarding the slip stone. I will have to try and find one.

Eric
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep looking. From a using standpoint, which would be better to look for, the Jennings or Irwin twist? Also, I'm guessing that the fine thread lead screw would be for hardwoods and the coarse for softwoods. Is this correct?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
I wish I had my dad's, but they are lost to history. I think using braces was common into the '60s and maybe later in some places, so the supply is still good. My collection of braces came from Penn State when the physical plant guys cleaned out sometime in the last decade.
Try username dowdstools. Lynn is down in your part of the world and could likely hook you up rickytic.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

dow said:

I ran across an old brace a couple of weeks ago, but only one bit, and while the brace is in decent shape, the bit looks to be pretty much toast. Where can you find bits for a decent price? I'd like to find a set with five or six different sizes, but a good 3/4" would be a great place to start, and would get me by in the short term.

I did find this place: http://www.icscuttingtools.com/Auger.htm Does anybody know about them and whether they're any good?

Thanks,
dow

If the chuck is of the 2-jaw type (think Sampson chuck) and is in good shape, I've found that any sharp bit with a hex shank can be gripped and used in a brace. Granted, paddle bits are a bit of a chore but they do work. Modern Forsner bits work pretty well too.

You can buy various hex-shanked auger bit configurations made by Wood Owl. http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Woo...ments/679/

The "nail chipper" tips work great and cut quickly.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I'm old enough that we were still using them when I started as a carpenter apprentice. The only bits commonly available then were the Irwin pattern. I liked the Stanley version much better, different cutting edge geometry . The Russell Jennings were more expensive, and special order?. I didn't buy any, then. It was mentioned that to get the bits to really cut, stone them. Fine diamond files might be a good hone.
A man of foolish pursuits