stain/finish for luan doors
After 35 years (and two active boys) the house is showing some signs of use. LOML says we need to replace some of the luan doors and I'm wondering about how to finish them.

I've refinished one door and it looks a lot different than the others. I believe the builder may have sealed and stained the doors (perhaps in the reverse order?) and didn't put any "finish" and when I put a coat of poly on the door I refinished it became darker and moderately glossy.

Is there any way to test the existing doors to see what was done to them? Alcohol/paint thinner test wipe?

Will paint thinner pull of the stain if it was put on last?

I know putting stain on last doesn't seem right but seems to me I remember them talking about sealing then staining to keep the color even.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It used to be that you could tell what finish was used or at least make a good guess. Today the only finish that you can tell with some certainty is shellac. Putting some alcohol in an inconspicuous spot for a minute or so will soften or dissolve it. DNA isn't necessary as any booze with at least 60% alcohol (120 proof) will work fine as will isopropanol or methanol (rubbing alcohol) just allow a bit of extra time for the shellac to soften.

It used to be that a little lacquer thinner would show that the finish was likely lacquer. Unfortunately, today, it is mostly acetone and will dissolve many finishes besides lacquer so that doesn't tell you much. Further there are waterborne finishes which have many different chemistries—good luck finding out what they are. There are even conversion varnish based waterborne.

Sealing before staining is possible as some materials and woods take stain unevenly and others drink up allot of stain.

Are you trying to preserve the stain/color or willing to take what is likely the easy way and simply take them down and strip them then refinish? Anything that will remove the stain will likely remove the sealer used.

If it's acceptable how about painting them?
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
They're going to be replaced due to scars, holes and other signs of life

I"m just trying to match the other door that aren't going to be replaced.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Unless there are a whole lot of doors which are not going to be replaced just refinish them all.

You can get very close to the old finish with new doors by just using transtint in shellac to get the color and then topcoating with a good waterborne like GF, they don't change the color.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
My guess is that the luan used on the doors 35 years ago is a little different than the luan used today. You might follow the exact same finishing schedule the builder used and still not have the new doors look anything like the old ones. The luan doors in my house are almost 30 years old. They look nothing like the stain grade luan doors we put in my daughter's house a few years ago. The grain on my old doors is much more even and tight, more like a QS grain. The doors I see today look more like they're flat sawn, with inconsistent grain patterns and tones.

Good luck.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?