That walnut cross I built/installed outside
a church for a lady has been in place for a year.

Painted it with Sherwin Williams A100 Ultra deep tint base---dries clear. South exposure, on a hill for unblocked wind/sun.

Close up:
nice

Are the bolt heads through to hold it to a ground contact leg?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
still looking good- are you going to recoat it next year or let it weather more?

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
The bolts are bolted through a 3" channel iron that has 5' above and 5' below ground(below in concrete).

Have told the maintenance crew to recoat maybe next year, but third for sure.
It still looks good, but I think I see the beginning of degradation around the knot and along the edge in the second photo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd recoat it this Summer. Once the finish gets penetrated it accelerates quickly.

John
Mac, how many coats did you do originally?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Two coats, the first on face and two sides sides, letting dry, flipping and coating the last face, with 24 hours between and about a week to dry before install.

The second coat was applied very liberally and with the cross horizontal.