What would you make out of spalted silver maple?
A very good sawyer I know has given me a board of spalted silver maple. Its got very nice black lining. He said "see what you can make out of this." Thing is, he has probably 250 bf of this which I could purchase at a decent price, but I have no immediate need. I would like to try something with the board he provided however. It is 6" w x 84" long x 1" rough. And yes its KD. any suggestions?
Jewelry box would show off that spalting nicely.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...

This is spalted birch; I've only found one board like this. I'd buy every one I could find if I could find more.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
You guys are convincing me. A jewelry box would work out fine for the material.
That's sure some beautiful creamy color on that bandsawn birch box you made Gary. It polished up nice and appears like onyx. I do have some small pieces of spalted birch in my stash also. I have never used any, just saving for that rainy day. I should get it to you I see.
Spalted lumber is also excellent book matched in panels.

Our headboard features a piece of spalted Cherry done this way, looks like a Japanese ink drawing.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I concur with it's use in door panels In any use I like it best as the secondary wood, that really sets off the primary wood. That said, for me it's a winner with Cherry, Walnut, Mahog, well just darker woods
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
A krenov style cabinet and some segmented turnings.

Cellulose runs through my veins!
Gosh Steve I haven't done segmented turning since the early 80's. Nice vase tho

Doors are book matched western maple.
This was a first attempt, I would make the legs sleeker on a second attempt.
jasfrank said:

I should get it to you I see.

I'd definitely put it to use for sure!
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here