12 Inch Sanding Disc Issues
I picked up some 12 inch sanding discs at a large import tool outlet-yes that one. The sanding disc has poor adhesion and came loose. Personally I will not buy these again. Has anyone had this issue?
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
Get some rubber cement & apply it to both surfaces.
Let it dry. Then adhere both together.
The rubber cement will allow it to come apart later on.
3m Spray adhesive does the trick, mineral spirits cleans up the plate.
Price is Right.
Short answer is HF does not make any good consumable products. It's not just the adhesive, it's the paper, and the abrasive as well, all junk, meant to be sold cheap to persons who don't really plan to use them for long.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

, meant to be sold cheap to persons who don't really plan to use them for long.

Or meant to be sold to people who don't know about HF quality.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
For what its worth, I've had exactly the same problem with disks purchased at my local Ace Hardware - more than once. Unfortunately its the only place near me that sells a 12" disk. Now I automatically give the plate a quick spray of Elmer's adhesive. Sticky enough to hold it on, but it still peals off ok. As mentioned, I clean the plate occasionally with mineral spirits.
Any spray adhesive will work. But don't use 3m 90 as its meant for permanent bonds.

I have only bought sanding belts from hf and they were fine. In fact they held up much better than the klingon belts everyone loves. The klingon ones broke at the joint anywhere from 10 seconds to one minute of use. The hf ones are still in the shop many years later and still work fine and haven't come apart at the joint. However it is a lap joint instead of tape so it's bumpy while running.
Sandpaper is meant to be friable. The aggregate starts to shatter as its used, the broken surfaces are sharp, and the belt keeps cutting as good as new ( until its worn out ). If you buy automotive belts ( for instance ) or belts meant for steel, they will probably be too hard to shatter and simply go dull. They'll look fine.

A good woodworking belt will actually wear out. Its the nature of the product. Albeit not in 10 seconds to one minute. The quality of the Aluminum Oxide (or whatever the abrasive is) is the most important part of a sanding belt or sand paper.
The issue was the klingon belts fell apart at the joints. The longest lasting was about two minutes. Never had that happen with any other brand. The rep replaced them and same thing again told him about it and he wasn't surprised to hear it.