width of table aprpon
Have a hallway table of cherry with top measuring 12x46. Height 29-30 inches. Probably very subjective call,but. question is how wide to make the aprons? Any set rule of thumb? Table will n ot be for sitting. Thnx.
It depends a great deal on the style of the table and what you are doing with the legs. Are you planning on stretchers between the legs down lower? I'd think somewhere 3-5 in. range wood work. It also depends upon what you do with the shape of the apron. A curve on the bottom edge? Straight? Bent?

Draw it out and get an idea of how different widths affect the visual weight of the table.
Good advice from DaveR. It is very subjective, another option is to search the internet for the type of table you are making to see what others have done. You should find enough for you to decide which approaches appeal to you and which don't. How about posting soem pics of the finished article?

Jim
Great advice so far.
In the end, if your not sure there is no better way than to make a mock up from ply, cardboard etc.
Nothing tells you if it looks right better than looking at it.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
In addition, you might want to install a pair of drawers in that table, side-by-side. That really looks nice in a hallway table. Woodsmith has an excellent set of plans for that, and I made one very similar with tapered legs. The apron would have to enclose those drawers.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
If you have a style in mind, do a Google of "Shaker tables" lets say, and go to Google images You will get to look at several, and from looking, you or your "customer" can say, ohhhhh I like that look. Then go for it

Looking you will clearly note, addition of a drawer will effect the height of the apron.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW