Arm-R-Seal Refinishing question
I finished a small walnut table with Arm-R-Seal (3 coats of gloss and 1 or 2 of satin) and during a move, the top developed some fairly deep scratches. I would like to remove the finish and redo it in the original way but I'm not sure whether it should be stripped (and if so, which stripper) or to sand it down and start all over. I think the scratches involve the wood so I will need to plane, scrap and sand the top to remove them and get back to the original surface. The top is easily removed so dealing with just the top is not a problem.

What is the best way of approaching this?
I think you have identified your approach. Take the top off and sand it down till the scratches are gone, then refinish.
Arm-R-Seal is pretty chemical resistant but you can start with a good methylchloride stripper like Klean-Strip Premium (I think HD carries it). Try to buy localy as HAZMAT shipping is outrageous.

Take the top outside and wear good protective gear. It's a gel so scrape it off with a plastic scraper. Then wash it down and reapply as needed. After you get as much as you can stripped then sand it down.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Sanding is a poor way to remove a finish. It does not get at the finish that is absorbed into the wood. Any residual finish will cause uneven coloring if you intend to re-stain the surface.

The best finish remover is a chemical paint stripper containing methylene chloride. Follow the directions on the label. It will do the fastest and most complete job.

Be sure the temperature of the air, the item and the remover is above 65 to 70 degrees.
Howie.........
Thanks to all. There is no stain so any issues that might cause are likely not of major importance. I think I will try to scrape it, then sand and finally use a stripper if there is any residual issues. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't work well, I have enough of the board used to make the top to redo it.
Honestly, your plan is backwards. Do as JR1 and Howard recommended. Get some KleanStrip Premium and strip if off. It's not hard; a heck of a lot easier than trying to scrap and sand. When the finish is off you'll see how deep the scratches are, and then you can to remove them.

John
I had a similar issue with walnut using the same product.

Sand and redo.

I only did it in a localized area and it turned out beautifully.
Peter

My "day job"