Wood I.D.
I have one board, that I can't I.D.
The way it cuts reminds me of cedar and it's lightweight just like cedar. The shavings, to me, have a sweet kinda smell like Jasmine, but the wife says to her it's more of a medicine smell. Any ideas?

Camphor.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Yeah, if it's a strong smell, then camphor. It could also be Spanish Cedar, but that would be a much fainter smell.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
It doesn't remind of Cedar at all. When I had it on the jointer there was a strong smell but I couldn't pinpoint it to a Cedar smell. It was strong though... So Camphor it is.
This was in a batch of free wood a co-worker had given me when he moved into his new house last year. I bagged some of the shavings in a ziplock bag from when I was hand planing the other side in the last pic, so I'll ask my co-worker what it is.
packerguy® said:

Camphor.

Camphor has a really strong Vics Salve smell. I had to resaw a bunch of it for a silver chest I built and my head was clear for a good month. The smell is VERY VERY strong. Every time I turned my dust collector on for at least 6 weeks my whole shop smelled like Vics. I ended up replacing my filters to get rid of the smell because I couldn't clean the dust out.
Would Sassafras be an option?
houblon said:

sassafras is about that color
BUT any I have seen has a much different grain pattern and smells like sassafras rootbeerish while been cut
oakey said:

[blockquote]houblon said:

sassafras is about that color
BUT any I have seen has a much different grain pattern and smells like sassafras rootbeerish while been cut

[/blockquote]

Agreed.

Sassafrass looks more like Ash or Butternut than this photo. Open grained like Red Oak. Also, nothing medicine smelling about it either. Root beer is right on.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

packerguy® said:

Agreed.

Sassafrass looks more like Ash or Butternut than this photo. Open grained like Red Oak. Also, nothing medicine smelling about it either. Root beer is right on.

I did not grow up with the stuff, for me root beer smells like medicine
But you are right, I recently made a frame out of sassafras and the figure reminded me of oak or ash.
Western red cedar
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home