Favourite Wood
Favorite wood? Bloodwood.

Favorite wood to use? Maple. Walnut. Cocobolo. And Rosewood.
Cherry is my favorite because it cuts so well, ages beautifully, and has beautiful grain patterns.

I love the way it smells when it's machined.

Followed closely by walnut because of its color, and then maple because of its machining qualities.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with many woods, I'll admit.

For turning, though, any stabilized burl.
Semper fi,
Brad

I build everything I can out of walnut, but have been pondering what lighter wood I'd enjoy working and would be as handsome as walnut. Looks like I'm going to find some cherry! Great thread.
The good part is, we don't have to choose.
Having said that, I confess, mahogany is my favorite.
SpongeBob said:

What is everyones favourite wood for projects and why? I've always wanting to try Baltic birch but can't afford it. As a novice woodworker, I stick to pine and MDF.

I suppose it is possible to be a woodworker and only use pine and manufactured wood products like mdf and plywood, but this is a sorry limitation to work under. You are right to want more, and if money is tight then substitute time and effort to find better material. Better materials, better results.

Find a sawyer and scavenge from his cast offs, or trade him labor for some wood. Convert some smaller logs into usable wood to dry. There are many inexpensive ways to try any number of species and I think almost all are more satisfying to work than mdf.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I like to build with walnut. It is just a nice wood to work and I love the smell. I mainly work with white oak, walnut, and pine. Believe it or not many antiques were made of pine. Till the midcentury modern furniture took off in popularity and price I bought many pieces at garage sales and auctions to cut up an make things with. The 50's 60's through about the mid 70's were pretty much solid wood. The stuff I could fix I did. I would buy the desk with the broken side and cut it up for projects. Many times the broken desk for example would only be a buck or two. stuff setting by the roadside was also fair game. I built many a project with old furniture that was to far gone to repair. You may not build a coffee table with most of it, though I did manage to, but all kinds of picture frames, boxes of all type, candle boxes you get the idea. Don' sell pine and mdf short. You can do good work in pine, especially it you can find older pine, mdf is good for what it is. Just don't sell yourself shot for working with those materials. If you can make a project work and look good with them anything else will be easy.
Pine, poplar and ash.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Russian Olive, hands down.

For commercially available, Walnut.

Exotic probably Makore.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Free wood!
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Favorite wood: Walnut or Maple

For wood turning: Olive. I also like how the shop smells

New enemy wood: Bloodwood
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net