Neat end grain cutting board design tool
This may have been discussed before and I just missed it. I decided to make a cutting board and did a little “googling” to understand the basics. I ran across a great tutorial explaining face, edge, and end grains that included a link to a very cool cutting board design tool that is free. Based on your design, the tool will give you a detailed picture of the finished board, the glue-up detail, the cutting board final size, and the sizes of the boards you will need. The tool is intuitive and easy to use. It also has a randomizer feature that will give you many different design looks.
Here are both links, well worth the time if you make cutting boards:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a.../?ALLSTEPS

http://www.lastalias.com/cbdesigner/

Oh yeah, here a few pics of the completed project. It is cherry and maple. LOML loves it. She has used it a few times and there are no cutting marks. She is really impressed that the board is least likely to dull her precious Cutco knives.

Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
Very cool. Thanks for posting those links. And your board looks very nice.

John
You said cherry and maple, but I'm sure you meant to say walnut and maple. It does look very nice. I suspect your wife is quite happy.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Would you post a picture of the drunken cheese board, please.
Sawdustd said:

Actually, I think I like that idea! And yes, it is cherry.
Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
MeanGene said:

[blockquote]Sawdustd said:

Actually, I think I like that idea! And yes, it is cherry.

[/blockquote]

The dark wood is walnut. Unless you've dyed your cherry....

Cutting board looks great though!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net