splitting a log question
There is an ash log here about 43 inches long by 22 inches in diameter. I have two steel wedges. Will I be able to split it--or will I lose my wedges? Any advice? I don't know if I should try.
Possibly. Drive them in close together, and as you drive in the second, the first will come loose. If you do get both wedged in tight, then take that as a sign from the heavens that you need another splitting wedge.

You can also make large wedges out of hardwood. Seasoned hardwood is best, but even a stout branch can be cut into a wedge shape in a pinch. Big, long ones (12"-18" long) are especially helpful once you get a split started.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Stupid question. Do I start on the side, or on the end?
Not a stupid question at all. Start at the end and work down the side. It is much easier than you think. 2 wedges will work fine.
Know anybody with a chainsaw? Have them rip it for you, it's like a portable bandsaw. I do it all the time.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Two wedges is plenty. You may want to make a wooden 'glut' or two to hold things open as you progress. Curtis Buchanan has a good video showing the process.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
Where do I place the first wedge?
At the end. (not in the end, but at the end of the side if you know what I mean)
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
overland said:

Where do I place the first wedge?

Most presume that you will split through the center, which is fine, if that's what you're after - bowl blanks. If you're looking for lumber, place your wedges where they straddle a favorable annual ring in a position meeting your thickness/width requirements. No real appearance advantage with quartered riven ash, so you might consider splitting round and round.

If you're going center, place wedges inside the sapwood on either side, drive alternately, and have a glut ready if you have a lot of hidden crossovers. Once the ends are opened, you can walk wedges/glut down the log. Or use a go-devil (maul).
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Make a deep axe cut on the top edge of the log at one end. Place the wedge in that axe cut and drive it in. If the wedge wants to jump out when struck, stick the tapered end in the dirt and try again. The dirt will help it get a bite. Drive the first wedge in until a crack propagates and then place the second wedge in there. Rinse and repeat.

That log should split fairly easily as it's not very long. You will probably have to use an axe to cut some of the wood stringers between the two halves to get them completely apart.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.