New Horizontal Router Mortiser
You may remember a thread Dave Diaman started a few weeks back asking about horizontal router mortisers. Dave was looking for a commercial unit because he didn't want to take the time to design and build something himself. After thinking about it for awhile I decided to contact Dave about my horizontal router mortiser, and over the course of a few e-mails we put together a plan. In the end I made 3 of the units you will see in the following pictures, one for Dave, one for one of his students, and one for myself. I gave my old mortiser to a friend.

I know Dave will give the mortiser a lot of use, so I decided to upgrade a lot of the components. I changed from MDF to Baltic birch plywood. I changed from maple to HDPE for the runners, which Dave was kind enough to send to me. I used phenolic for the router mounting plate. I redesigned the work rest so that one rest and clamp can be used to hold any part. I upgraded to a large Bessey auto adjust clamp, too. And I designed and incorporated a clear plastic router bit guard, not because I thought the machine was unsafe but to make sure I provided every protection possible.

Here's the machine with all it's parts:

Looking at the various parts in greater detail, here is the base assembly:

The Y-table looks like this:

It contains the stops that limit the length of the mortise. It sits on the base assembly runners:

The X-table sits on top of the Y-table runners and has T slots milled in it for the work rest.

Here's the completely assembled mortiser with a rail clamped against the work rest.

Turn it 90 degrees and the work rest clamps a stile for milling.

Of adjust it to 45 deg, or nearly any angle, as the case may be:

The bit can be adjusted vertically from less than zero to about 2 inches above the table. It can be moved even higher, if needed, by make a spacer to put between the removable bridge and back rest. Mortises are limited only by the size of the router bit you can chuck into your router. Unlike some commercial mortisers, you don't need any templates with my machine; you to cut any size mortise you want.

I'll be making a few more of the mortisers, and am willing to make more upon request. If you have an interest, please send me a PM or email.

John

If you have the means to post a video, that would be too.
Ag
Great work John. Well thought out upgrades as well. Do you ever take a day off?

If you go to this link you will find a video I took using my older unit. Everything still applies to the new unit except the new work rest/clamp is easier to use.

John
TY!
Ag
John
well done
I built my own also just because all the one's that I have seen for sale are way less than great or even OK
that one looks like a life time tool
I should have explained that you can cut more than just simple mortises with this machine. You can cut integral tenons, too, if you like to use those, and the faces will be absolutely flat, smooth and parallel. You can cut sliding dovetails as well, which is very helpful on the ends of cabinet shelves or stretchers. And I'm sure you can cut raised panels with a vertical panel raising bit, but I've never done it. In all cases, the work piece is lying flat and well supported on the X-table; not a vertical balancing act.

John
sweet.

are there plans for this available?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I've gotten quite a few PM's about the new mortiser with questions. I suspect more people have similar questions. Most of those questions can be addressed if you look at this link on my webpage about my original horizontal router mortiser. You will find a link to a slide show with captions about how the mortiser works and some of the joints you can cut, a video showing the mortiser in use, a SketchUp model of that unit that you can download for free, and basic instructions on how to build it. If I haven't addressed a question you have, however, please let me know and I'll try to answer it. Thanks.

John
http://youtu.be/2RQcClMWeh4

This is one the simplest and best DIY slot mortisers I've seen and I've used a lot of slot mortisers over the last 40 years.