cutting board scrap tray
Rubbermaid silverware tray inserts at Walmart, etc. - variety of sizes. Add your own knob if need be.

I thought the same thing and typed out a response stating that it would be a pain to clean then thought the whole thing is built like a box top and the bottom of the board was empty so cleaning wouldn't be that big a deal.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

joe1086 said:

All due respect....I'd try to talk them out of the disposal tray. Tray will be a PITA to clean, tray has limited capacity, how do you keep inner board clean, you lose workspace, yada yada yada.

Keep the board simple and use a bowl to collect waste.

Try using a stainless dog feeding bowl, as they have a wider flat bottom and you can add two runners under the top for it to slide into.
You could also build a "drawer front" handle for it and screw the bowl to it to cover the opening.

... and they are inexpensive also!
Suggesting a cutting board that fits over the sink. Rails underneath would hold a board in place for either a drop in or under mount.
There are also acrylic cutting boards that have a collapsible basket that fits into a hole on the cutting board.

probably bigger than you want but just an idea
Bread pan, They come in various sizes. A bit taller than the one in the pic, perhaps, but it should work. Non-stick will make it easier to keep clean too!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Mine is routed so it locks front to back and to one side so I have half the sink still available for other stuff.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.