19 century furniture in se Georgia
Presently in Fla. looking for museums incliding 19 century furniture on Georgia around Savana.

Tom
Let me know if you find any. I grew up an hour from Savannah and I'm not familiar with any museums of that sort in the area.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
anwalt said:

Presently in Fla. looking for museums incliding 19 century furniture on Georgia around Savana.

Tom

It's not 19th century but a Good exhibit nonetheless.

If you're close to Orlando check out this Nakashima and Esherick Exhibit in Mt Dora.

Esherick to Nakashima

Earl
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly
Jekyll Island.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Try the Mercer Williams House Museum in Savannah. It's a home built in 1890 with all manner of furniture and great details.

Mercer Williams House Museum
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the heads up.
We spent the better part of half the day at the Modernism Museum in Mt Dora taking in some beautiful work by three greats.
We were told the storeroom has a lot of work by Sam Maloof, Art Carpenter and more of Wendell Castle's work, and that it's likely to be the next exhibit.
My. Dora has plenty of good eating too.
Anyone within a few hours drive should really give this consideration.
Earl Kelly said:

[blockquote]anwalt said:

Tom

If you're close to Orlando check out this Nakashima and Esherick Exhibit in Mt Dora.

Esherick to Nakashima

Earl

[/blockquote]
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thx for the replies. Will do savanah, then Athens.

Tom
The two best antique furniture "museums" in Savannah are actually antique stores.

Stop at Jere's Antiques. There is furniture in there from the 18th-20th centuries. Huge inventory. It is a retail store but people tend to treat it like a museum. It probably has about 30000 square feet of old cotton warehouse as a building. I highly recommend it.

Also another antique shop called Alex Raskins Antiques. Same situation there. It is in the Noble-Hardee Mansion the last unrestored mansion in Savannah. The house itself is more amazing than what is inside of it. The place is chock full of furniture. It is like a maze. If you go to the Mercer-Williams house, it is to the front right as you look out the front door. This place was featured on an episode of NYW.

Both places are real proud of their wares but they are welcome and very friendly to everyone. I cannot recommend these two places enough if you are after period furniture. You will spend an hour plus in each of them. They have a ton of stuff.

The house museums are a joke compared to these two stores as far as furniture is concerned. The stuff in the Mercer-Williams house is very nice and restored well but it is a little eclectic and you cannot touch and feel on them the way you can at Alex Raskin's and Jere's.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
In Georgia, you need to visit the Lowe House in Savannah.
It is the Girl Scout Museum, since Juliette Gordon Lowe grew up there.
The Birthplace

The furniture is a unique collection of upper middle class daily use items from the second half of the 1800s. And Savannah as a city is always worth a visit.

If you do go to the Lowe house, and your 24 yo tour guide uses a cane, be nice to her, that's my daughter. She has been working there while in Law School.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Glad you enjoyed it. I missed it because I was sick when we were down there a couple of weeks ago. Will try again next month. Our Son is in Winter Park so we're down that way quite often.

Gary G™ said:

Thanks for the heads up.
We spent the better part of half the day at the Modernism Museum in Mt Dora taking in some beautiful work by three greats.
We were told the storeroom has a lot of work by Sam Maloof, Art Carpenter and more of Wendell Castle's work, and that it's likely to be the next exhibit.
My. Dora has plenty of good eating too.
Anyone within a few hours drive should really give this consideration.
[blockquote]Earl Kelly said:

[blockquote]anwalt said:

Tom

Esherick to Nakashima

Earl

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly