4 1/2 Smoother
I bought the limited edition LN White Bronze and Rosewood 4-1/2 six or eight years ago, back when I had less sense and more money. For a couple of years I kept it untouched in the box. One day I was planing a birds-eye maple panel and my usual planes were doing a pretty good job, but tearing out the eyes, so I grabbed that plane and honed up the blade shaving-sharp, adjusted the frog and set it for a very fine cut. It cut beautifully but tore out the eyes just like all the rest.

There's no magic, but it's a pretty plane. It'll take a nice thin shaving, just like any other well fettled plane will.

David C.
I'm with T'wolf. I own two 4 1/2s, a flat-aidd bedrock that tablesawtom worked his magic on and a LN with a high angled frog. I also own a Norris A5. The A5 smooths everything, including lots of stuff the 4 1/2s can't handle like highly figured maple and cherry, and they are a lot easier to push. If I were looking for a serious smoother, I'd look for a good infill.

Hank
Hank and Timberwolf are onto something. Patrick Leach says
" I have this half-baked, semi-baked, even fully-baked theory that Stanley offered this plane as competition for the heavier infill planes, being produced in England. Problem is, this one isn't even a 'contendah' with those products from the eastern shores of the Atlantic. Certainly their extra mass is a step in the right direction, but other than that, these planes are left taxiing on the tarmac, while the infills are soaring to new heights. Think it sounds whacked? Read on, and then look at the entry for the #4 1/2H for more proof."
I have a 4 1/2 and a number of infills, and prefer the infills, though there is a pretty dramatic price difference to get an infill in good condition. I prefer the extra mass, though there are others that think that the Clark and Williams smoother is the best thing out there, and it weighs less than a Stanley, so much of this is in the hands of the beholder.
I have a 4-1/2 because I had an opportunity to own one cheap. Otherwise I probably would have passed. I've never used it and from the looks of it, it didn't get much use before I picked it up. I'm convinced people own them because they have some sort of mysterious "cool factor". They're easier to sell than to buy.

In speaking to other woodworkers, most say the same thing. They bought the #4 1/2, but seem to never use it. Personally, I think once you find a plane that is comfortable, does you want and is reliable, that is one you keep going back to time and again. My #3 and #4 are my go to planes for smoothing stock.
The blade width of a 4.5 (2 3/8) is the same of the #6 and #7. So, width, if important, could be the best reason to "need" a 4 1/2 plane. However, the cool factor of owning one is good, too--
Smile.

For finishing, the narrower blades (#3 or 4) work better for me. Wider blades are typically harder to push (for me) but, when sharpened, work well. I really think that it's a preference thing--beyond the width. I discovered this when hanging some vintage doors: the 4.5 gave me a better platform to skew and work the bottom. My buddy's #5 did the trick, but it had no spare width for error. Of course, my experience is not the standard, it's just what works for me.
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Smoothjazz077 said:

In speaking to other woodworkers, most say the same thing. They bought the #4 1/2, but seem to never use it. Personally, I think once you find a plane that is comfortable, does you want and is reliable, that is one you keep going back to time and again. My #3 and #4 are my go to planes for smoothing stock.

I have a Seargent VBM which is sized somewhere between a Stanley #3 and a #4. Heftier than a Stanley/Baily and I probably use it more than any other. iirc, I paid $15.00 for it at an antique store. It was sitting with the other $15.00 planes, Craftsmans, Dunlops etc. It's not pretty but it's a great little plane.
Compared to 4's and 5's the 4 1/2's were made in smaller numbers, so like 1's and 2's they bring higher $$$ Also make sure it isn't a 4 1/2H which is a rarer still English cousin, or the 4 1/2C the corrugated version, also fairly rare.

I don't think the e-bay prices and use have that much to do with each other, more collecting. If you were going to use one for woodworking $$$$$ would probably be better spent on a LN or LV model.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I got a 4 1/2 off of eBay a couple of years ago. It is my main smoothing plane, but I don't think it does anything special compared to a four. Looking through the sold prices, they are higher than I paid for mine. I have a Millers Falls in the number three size and had a number four. I gave the four to my girlfriend's sister when she needed a plane and I still use the three a lot.

There still seem to be a few of them going for relatively cheap, but I would pass on most of them for what they're bringing. There have been been a few LN 4 1/2 in the s&s forum recently that seem much more attractive than a user Stanley for over $100.
I picked up a wartime 4 1/2 here on S&S a number of years ago. The price was relatively inexpensive as it was missing the blade and chip-breaker - all good for me as I wanted to get a Hock blade and chipper. I've never regretted that purchase.

I'm 6' 4", slightly heavier than normal, have big hands, so this plane fits me very well. It's my "go to" for smoothing, and for smaller tasks, I have an older Bedrock 604 and a Stanley #3, both with after-market blades.

r2