Kitchen Island
A friend asked me to make him a kitchen island from a picture he found at Haverty's. With a few changes of course. He wanted it to have a top that matched his kitchen cabinet finish and the bottom painted black.

The picture:

The changes he requested are for the top to be 40" wide by 62" long with a 12" overhang on two sides. In place of the shelves on the right, he wanted a wine rack instead. No drawers and the doors to match his cabinet door profiles.

Here's what I came up with.

The top is hard maple with SW Classic Cherry stain. The bottom is poplar with BM Advance. You might be able to see the feet over on the workbench on the left in the oblique picture.

I delivered it yesterday and he was extremely happy - as was I that he was happy.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Very nice adaptation, Joel. How did you like using the BM Advance? Did you spray it? And how did you paint the wine rack and end cabinet? Perhaps you painted them separately and then slid the wine rack into place afterwards?

John
Seems to me this shouldn't have feet. A food prep station is going to collect crap underneath. I'd opt for a toe kick.

OTW, looks great and less filling, too.
Hi John, yes I sprayed it with my Earlex 5500. And as you had advised in some of your posts, thinned 10% with water, it sprayed great. Primer of BIN. I did paint the inside of the wine rack before assembly to ensure it was covered adequately.

Kizar I agree on the toe-kick vs. feet, but I didn't think to offer that as a suggestion. In hindsight . . . . . .

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
Kizar_Sozay said:

Seems to me this shouldn't have feet. A food prep station is going to collect crap underneath. I'd opt for a toe kick.

OTW, looks great and less filling, too.

Same here but casters are even better so you can get the island out of the way when not in use and you have more flexibility for working in the kitchen. Just like having rolling tables in the shop.
Joel
nicely done
did you make the top also ?
Very well done. What kind of joinery on the wine rack web?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes Oakey, it's hard maple. I asked the cabinet shop what wood they used and the stain as well. They were happy to share - I appreciated that.

Fred. I made the wine rack interior pieces with 1/2" wide cuts. On the pieces going one direction I made the cuts from the back, on the pieces going the other direction I made the cuts from the front. Slide together nicely after a lot of measuring to ensure I was making the cuts in the proper location. Actually I do my design in MS Excel. I make all the cell rows 10 units high and 1 unit in width. Makes perfect squares. Each square is 1/4". So when I made the wine rack 27" wide x 27" high. I just counted cells to see where the cuts should be made. (I know you didn't ask that, but thought I'd share it).

Island installed

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972