HB DT Question
I'm making a cabinet, roughly 43" tall X 35" wide. I've cut the tails on the top & bottom boards. How do some of you transfer the pin layouts to the sides. I milled a scrap piece of wood to the exact thickness so I can stand the bottom. & top on end to get the correct depth. But how do I hold the tail boards in place while drawing the pin outlines on long boards?
Jim
For large pieces like you're working with, I have two right triangles my father made of oak years ago. The two adjacent legs are about 10" each. I lay the pin board on my bench and clamp the triangles to it. Then I clamp the tail board to the triangles. A little loosening of the clamps and wiggling of the boards lines them up for final clamping. Once the clamps are tightened, the the boards are securely in position and I can mark the pins. The triangles come in handy for other tasks as well.

I have also clamped the pin board to the front edge of my bench, flush with the bench top. Then line up the tail board, clamp it to the bench top with holdfasts and mark away. This method is simpler than using triangles, but I've gotten used to the triangles and use them most of the time.

Hank
Hank Knight in SC said:

I have also clamped the pin board to the front edge of my bench, flush with the bench top. Then line up the tail board, clamp it to the bench top with holdfasts and mark away. This method is simpler than using triangles, but I've gotten used to the triangles and use them most of the time.

Hank

Thanks Hank! Not trying to sound flippant, the pin boards are 43" tall and since I'm only 65" tall I can assure you my work bench isn't tall enough to handle this procedure, even though I have done that with shorter boards.

It sounds like we were both in the Army at the same time.

Jim
Jim
halfathumb,

I'm a tails first guy, but the photo shows what I do; you can modify for pins first. It will also work for half blind dovetails.
A straight edge board is clamped to the scribe line on the tail board. This board acts as a stop to aid in scribing the lines. In the photo only one clamp was necessary, but sometimes if the panel is bowed two will be required to flatten the board. With the boards up on edge, clamp the pin board to the tail board, and scribe the tails. Again, sometimes if the boards are bowed a couple of clamps maybe necessary to pull things together.

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com