Maloof 100th year exhibition
I went to the Maloof exhibition at his house in Rancho Cucamonga on Thursday. It is only about 5 minutes from my work. I'm sorry but I can't recommend the exhibition unless you are taking the tour of the house also. The house tour shows you plenty of Maloof work and furniture and is very much worth the price of admission. The free exhibit is not worth driving to see. It is very small and consists mainly of upholstered chairs he has made over the years. i personally am not a big fan of his upholstered work, I prefer his solid wood work. Here are some pics from the exhibit.

danw
I met Sam Maloof twice -- very nice guy. Some of the SoCal group arranged a tour of his place. My wife went with me once and Sam took a liking to her -- gave her an autographed arm rest he cut out while we were there (the other guys were a bit jealous). Also got a good picture.

Maybe we will make it down, but it just won't be the same without him being there.
Dogs Understand Why We Ride

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

A Nation Of Sheep Breeds An Administration Of Wolves

Leave a good footprint -- you may only pass that way once.

PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE

My wife and I took the house tour last week; very well done, good guides, lots of furniture to see. I'd never met Sam, but the tour definitely gave us a sense of connectedness with both his work and person.
This is a little afield from the exhibition but the current FW has a reprint of an article by Maloof that ran in the late 70s on how to make his chair. As one who has built some Hal Taylor chairs it was interesting to read how he built his chairs and to note the changes that Taylor made to the design he came up with. Maloof made it sound easy--just a logical step by step process. I wonder if anyone tried to build a chair from this article because I can tell you there are some devilishly difficult details that are just briefly touched on in the article. Ken