Veritas Small Plow Depth Stop
I took a couple of pics today of the new depth stop while making slips for drawers ...

Small Plow Plane ploughing a groove ..

The new depth stock is excellent. I've been using it for a while now, and it has been reliable. I am still inclined to use the slot I cut in the screw head to lock it down a little more snuggly, but that is now just a habit speaking.

Basically, Lee Valley designed a small add-on to shift the position of the screw. It now longer tightens a collar over the depth stop shaft, but enables the screw to directly contact the shaft of the depth stop.

A hex bolt holds the add-on where the old screw held down the collar ...

Screw centred on the shaft ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks for the images Derek. It was difficult to picture the fix from the description. It's time to upgrade a few items....
I have never had a problem with the old depth stop using just finger tightening. The new design should work better for those who experienced the depth stop slippage. I suppose even for them, a slot on the thumbscrew will not be necessary with the new stop.

I will order my free replacement depth stop anyway when it is available.

Simon
Thanks for the preview. Looks like a more direct application of force on the stalk and a more symmetrical loading of the brass screw. Both should be beneficial. The trade-off would appear to be loss of the wave-washer and the convenience it provides for setting the stop. At least it’s not obvious how a wave-washer would work with this setup. I’m eager to try the new clamp out, but probably won’t throw the old clamp out right away.
Paul-in-Plymouth said:

. The trade-off would appear to be loss of the wave-washer and the convenience it provides for setting the stop. At least it’s not obvious how a wave-washer would work with this setup. I’m eager to try the new clamp out, but probably won’t throw the old clamp out right away.

Good point! I will keep mine when the new one is tried out and if I don't like it, I will switch it back to the old set-up.

Simon
Where does the wave washer go on the new upgrade setup?
Why do they always call me Rob?
I played with the new depth stop a little last week before sending my plane back to LV for the upgrade to the skate. There seems to be no sensible way to use the wave washer with the new setup, but it may not be all that important.

In the new setup, the clamp becomes a rigid cantilever from which the knurled brass screw bears directly down onto stalk of the depth stop. I found it possible to tighten the screw lightly such that the depth stop held, but could be still adjusted by hand. It’s not as easy as with the wave washer, but it can be done, and practice will help.

In the old setup, the clamp appears to be a Class 3 lever (effort in the middle, like tweezers, mechanical advantage <1) with only a fraction of the applied screw force reaching the stop. The new setup with direct application of the force to the stop should be more reliable, both for holding setting and for not fatiguing the brass screw. I think I’ll be happy to trade away the convenience of the wave washer for improved reliability. At least that was my quick take. I’ll know more when I get the plane back.
The new set-up does not use a wave washer. Read the instructions.
I did read them, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t also try to figure out some sensible way of using the wave washer in the setup. Unsuccessfully. But I think I can live without it. We’ll see.
I threw out the instructions thinking I could reassemble and couldn't find electronic version online. I didn't think you would use it but kept it to be safe. Always read the manual
Why do they always call me Rob?