Tokyo trip -- suggestions?
I have been blessed with a short lead time trip to Tokyo later this month. There's not enough time to visit Miki or Sanjo, but I should be able to hit up any place in the Greater Tokyo area.

I've compiled a list of suggestions from TripAdvisor, SMC, and other low-hanging results of a Google search. These range from the specific, e.g. Joyful Honda and Tokyu Hands (though I'm not keen on what sounds like a Japanese box store), to vague: wander around Fukagawa looking for a lumber merchant, they're sure to be there. Can you folks here suggest anything further?

I've also identified some things to consider purchasing, like wood (sugi) and an axe (daiku-ono), and perhaps a set of wood-grain laminated chisels (mokume-gane oire-nomi). Given my preference for saw and planes that are pushed, can anyone suggest specific stuff to consider purchasing? Yes, I know that will depend on which shop(s) I visit and what's in stock. But I need to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
I was in Japan some years ago and not into WW. I can give you two tips on food though: First if the water looks surprised at what you order reconsider, Second don't bother with fugu it's a bland tasting fish and you can't get it with the toxin.

BTW you can get the same sensation as the fugu toxin by sucking on some peeled water hemlock—I seriously discourage this as that's what was used to execute Socrates.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Tokyu Hands will have some of those things you are looking for. It may sound like a box store but when I went there 10 years ago their tool selection was more than just mass produced ilk. Maybe it's changed but I picked up a lot of tools/stones that I am still using today. I didn't have the time/ability to do much else beyond them re: tool related adventures. As far as touristy stuff, the Tokyo National Museum and the Ueno Zoo were memorable stops. I did a guided bus tour that stopped at the tower and the Imperial Palace as well as some of the temple/shrines in the city (names are escaping me at the moment). Hope you have a great trip!

Andrew
Tokyu Hand is a fun place to visit. It is more like a department store with a large DYI offering. You will not find many woodworking tools there, but you can find synthetic sharpening stones, and tons of other interesting stuff.

There is a stone shop I have tried to visit, but unfortunately it was closed due to a holiday the day I tried. The owner welcomes foreign visitors, but does not speak much english.
http://www.morihei.co.jp/?mode=f4

Here is a tool shop in Shibuya that I heard of, but have not visited.
http://www.shibuyadogenzaka.com/yoshizawa/main.html

Another shop I have not visited - Suiheiya. Not far from Asakusa.
https://goo.gl/maps/U24dEz61CEs
Search for "knife shop" and find something close to where you will be. These shops often carry chisels and other edge tools and a wide variety of sharpening media.
Sertorius said:

I've also identified some things to consider purchasing, like wood (sugi) and an axe (daiku-ono), and perhaps a set of wood-grain laminated chisels (mokume-gane oire-nomi).

Just so you know, the extra that you pay for the fancy wood grain chisels is strictly for the appearance. I’m the last one to dissuade anyone from buying a fancy looking tool, but as long as you know that a wood grain chisel will be functionally the same chisel as a non-fancy one from the same blacksmith, get whatever you like.

Since you’re going to be in Tokyo, you should also know of a stylistic difference between the Tokyo area chisel makers and Japanese chisel makers from other parts of Japan. They typical Japanese chisel that we think of has the sides vertical to the bottom for a short bit, and then it bevels across the top, like these.

Tokyo area chisel makers tended to make most of the chisels in the narrower sizes with vertical sides all the way up, like these,

The largest sizes still maintained the bevel.

Here are photos of the full sets so you can check out the difference. Regular set on top, Tokyo-style chisels on the bottom.

Again, this is mainly an appearance issue as opposed to a functional issue.

I don’t know if being in Tokyo means that you’ll have more access to this style of chisel, but that could be something to look out for.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Thank you all for your responses. I'll be sure to post an update of my results, if only so a new data point can be found in a Google search.

JR1: thanks for the tip against fugu. I'm not keen on paying for the mystique of a bland fish. I've always paid attention to the wait staff's body language, regardless of what country I'm in.

Andrew: I'll check the Hands in Shibuya to see if they have anything, even if I go somewhere else for the purchase. The museum is on the list, and I'm hoping to get to Kamakura for temples, since it's closer to where we're staying.

djwong: I'm going to compare Hands with the Yoshizawa Rikou, since they're so close to each other. I may not get to Suiheiya, though.

dustyrag: I've noticed that pattern in the Google results of knife shops seeming to sell woodworking and even a few ww power tools.

Mr Pan: Thanks especially for detailing the stylistic differences. I find myself drawn toward the firmer-style sides of the Tokyo area chisels. I'm actually not in love with the wood grain because, like you say, it doesn't add to the capabilities. I was just citing it as an option, kinda like getting an usu-nomi for paring. Like I said at the beginning of this msg, I'll report back at the end of the month.