Satellite TV (again)
Cub_Cadet_GT said:

Dish sucks, I would go Directv. I had both and stayed with Directv for many years. I luckily have FIOS now.

As to satellite internet I don't have any direct experience but slow and expensive are the two adjectives I hear most.

Direct TV sucks. I have had both and prefer Dish Network. Customer service is easier to deal with. I like the channel layout and find the remote easier to navigate.

Really they are pretty close and I would shop by price.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
We've had cable for many years after satellite and it has been the best so far.
We only use internet and phone (business) though. I would have to call them every year to get on the specials they had to keep the bill down. The last time they raised it $30.00 a month, that was it.
We don't watch much TV anymore ever since the history, discover, travel and A&E decided we wanted to watch pathetic reality shows like bubba fighting alligators in the swamp or some couple fighting about who gets the next catfish: not to mention most of the time is spent watching those dang commercials. Of course censored TV news is mostly good to know what celebrities are doing or how to cook a casserole. We decided not to pay for commercials and 4th rate shows and had them cut it off. Never been happier. Couldn't use the other TV's in the house and shop without a converter w/fee and the converters kept failing. We now get a couple local channels free with a antenna and use netflix, hulu, and whatever the blue ray plays when we feel like it. Internet news sources actually give you what is going on and far superior. HDMI your computer to the TV as well.
Better time for us is spent reading a good book or sitting together actually talking in a nice quiet room.
Like others we had dish and switched because of their constant dropping of channels. I much prefer Direct. Their customer service has been excellent and the caliber of their techs have been much better when I've needed them to come out. (Original install, add equipment, move, add equipment, house painters moved the dish itself) The few encounters I had with Dish personnel I felt the need to check my belongings afterward.

I will say Direct is the most expensive tv service I've ever had. I toy with the idea of cancelling all together but my wife vetoes me. I wouldn't switch back to Dish. I've found Direct much more reliable. Neighbor still has dish and his is easily down twice as often as mine and the dishes are only a few hundred feet apart.

But darn they're pricy IMO.
-Marc

Then you should be glad you don't have TW, which is what we are giving up. I love them, have my internet and phone through them as well....but like you said: darn, they're expensive.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

Then you should be glad you don't have TW, which is what we are giving up. I love them, have my internet and phone through them as well....but like you said: darn, they're expensive.

Boy, you're not kidding. And mission creep has the price going up little by little. I can't convince DW to drop TW and just keep the internet access, as she pretty much only watches network crap anyway so we could be getting it all for free, but that's a non-starter.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
messmaker said:

[blockquote]Cub_Cadet_GT said:

Dish sucks, I would go Directv. I had both and stayed with Directv for many years. I luckily have FIOS now.

As to satellite internet I don't have any direct experience but slow and expensive are the two adjectives I hear most.

Direct TV sucks. I have had both and prefer Dish Network. Customer service is easier to deal with. I like the channel layout and find the remote easier to navigate.

Really they are pretty close and I would shop by price.

[/blockquote]

You seem to be in the minority. Most here have dropped Dish due to their constantly dropping channels tactic.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Sattelite internet is slow and expensive. We had no cable or dsl here until a couple of years ago and used Wildblue for internet. About like dial-up but it allowed us to still use phone. I think Hughesnet was our other option for internet.

We moved up to DSL after all the phone system locally was washed away in a flood and the new stuff allowed DSL.

Its through ATT. Terrible customer service but now that Uverse has replaced DSL, our internet speeds are back to normal levels. We could pay for faster but choose not to. If you have ATT, the new Uverse may be a great choice. We do not use it for TV- only phone and internet. We Have an antenna for TV and get about 18 digital channells. Netflix takes care of the rest. A good outdoor antenna with booster is worth it.

Bottom line is that internet through the phone line (if you have a land line) is much better than sattelite internet.
We had directv for 15 years. Dropped it because it.was too expensive for us.

OTA, Netflix and hulu now. Don't miss directv.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I do remember that time when you clicked on a website, went and got a cup of coffee and a snack, and it was just finished loading when you got back- maybe. And it cost almost the same as now.
Still considering the options, actually I'm not sure the fact that Dish drops channels (especially those that carry football, not a fan at all!) would be that important to me. But we do seem to have an unusual option. Our area did have a "wireless" cable system, we used them for years before we moved here and they were great. That same company has dropped the wireless cable and uses Dish for their digital TV. In this case it's more expensive, but you have them at your beck and call for problems. As it turns out that same outfit may be the only choice for high speed internet at the new house. The internet won't be satellite...it's microwave (?) on a local tower. I haven't checked with them yet, but that may be a more acceptable solution. BTW, having Dish through them also means you get local weather on the national channels and such stuff. More local channels than using Dish directly as well. Still thinking it through, got a month or so to resolve this. Thanks for all the opinions so far.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.