Parts needed for Craftsman Miter Box
I was recently given a Craftsman Miter Box, model no. 881.36505, which I am cleaning up for use. It is missing 4 parts which Sears no longer stocks. They are: 12470-17 (compression spring); 12470-6 (saw hanger); 12470-11 (saw hanger carrier); and 12470-7 (guide post spacer). These are item numbers 32, 33, 35, and 36 on the parts list. All for the forward saw guide. Would any of you folks have these parts in your "spares" bin, and would you be willing to sell them?

Thanks,
Can you post a pic of the miter box?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I'm sorry, Tony Z, but I don't have a way to post a decent picture of the miter box. I did Google it, and found pictures and a PDF of the owners manual which plainly showed the parts I need. Thanks for your interest. ronwhit
A number of companies made parts for Sears boxes. Years ago, MF did. Some of the recent ones were by Hempe. Depending upon the age, you may want to search other makers to find one similar to yours.

Don't know your location, but in some parts of the country (mine for one), seeing miter boxs at flea markets, yard sales and antique malls is common, and generally cheap. You may find a good, useable one for $25.00 or so!
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony Z said:

A number of companies made parts for Sears boxes. Years ago, MF did. Some of the recent ones were by Hempe. Depending upon the age, you may want to search other makers to find one similar to yours.

Don't know your location, but in some parts of the country (mine for one), seeing miter boxs at flea markets, yard sales and antique malls is common, and generally cheap. You may find a good, useable one for $25.00 or so!

True. But it's hard to find one complete, and with a decent saw as well. You have to study up on boxes and know exactly what you are looking at/for, or you risk ending up with a boneyard of boxes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

[blockquote]Tony Z said:

True. But it's hard to find one complete, and with a decent saw as well. You have to study up on boxes and know exactly what you are looking at/for, or you risk ending up with a boneyard of boxes.

[/blockquote]

Succinct statement by Admiral.

r2
Admiral said:

[blockquote]Tony Z said:

[/blockquote]

Pretty easy to find one cheap complete enough to use. Parts generally missing are pretty easy to fabricate, or figure work arounds (think work holding). Biggest issue are saws missing, but again, saw plate depths allow variety of other make saws to be used (I have upwards of 17 different working miter boxes and a boneyard of half-wits. Also, a number of saws, and I've seen as many saws missing the miter boxes, as vice-versa).

Admiral makes the most important point: you need to spend a bit of time studying the most popular miter boxes, so as to know what to look for. As far as a saw, worse case is you buy a new one-LN makes several sizes, at a fairly reasonable price.
www.metaltech-pm.com