Replacing Hunter 4-speed Ceiling Fan 5-wire Pull Switch
(05-26-2017, 11:31 AM)geek2me Wrote: How come you think that is a spammer?  Looks more like someone found another source and was kind enough to share.

Registered yesterday, bumped up a year old thread, and their first post ever to the forum has a link to a website. Pretty easy to connect those dots, no?
yeah, I would have banned that person without a second thought. After checking out a few thousand spammers, it's pretty easy to spot them.  Some of them are better at hiding what they are up to, and checking them takes more work
(05-26-2017, 02:09 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Registered yesterday, bumped up a year old thread, and their first post ever to the forum has a link to a website. Pretty easy to connect those dots, no?

I would say "no".  A lot of people register to forums and lurk for a while, eventually deciding they have something to contribute and then posting.  In this case, it was an alternate source for the part the OP was seeking.  I'd agree with you if it was a link to an irrelevant web page, but I don't think a spammer would bother to read the question and provide a helpful resource.

A lot of "newbies" tend to not notice the thread date, and I've noticed the new software shows old threads as new unread if you have not visited them since the upgrade - so he likely did not realize it was an old thread.

Personally, I'd keep an eye on him but give him a chance - but this is not my board and I don't make the rules here, so my opinion doesn't really matter.
shows up once, dumps a link on an already answered thread, never comes back.  IP from some country where the stuff isn't even sold.  You're right, lots of people sign up on forums to post a link, and the vast majority of them are spammers.  The forum I help moderate has had hundreds of them a day before we stopped allowing newbies to post links and other defenses.  Mods can only delete up to 50 posts at a time, and I've had spammers that managed to do that in the time between their first post and when I banned them. I'm a little surprised that this place doesn't see more of them, but I guess it's driven by traffic to some extent.  And I'm sure the mods keep it invisible if they can.
A follow up.

Pulling the chain from the bottom broke the original chain. The switch is at 90 degrees to this pulling action.

Noticed many ceiling fan pictures have the fan chain off to the side.

After understanding why, I removed it from the bottom and now pull from the side at the top of the glass bowl. The new location makes the pulling action in line with the switch and is now easier to pull.
WoodTinker