Stanley #813 16" brace
Here's a time where my lack of 'puter skills are annoying. Today's fleamarket find was a Stanley #813 16" brace. All shiny with lovely rosewood, so nice that I didn't even notice the size. Since I just had $13 .35 on me, I paid $13.00. I'm fond of Millers Fall braces, but I couldn't say no to a beautiful Stanley. On the way out I picked up Fuller 3/8" chisel, a Japanese? made #60 clone, for the 35 cents. The chisel will make a 5 chisel set for the tools in the back of the truck, tools that I hopefully never have to use camping/RVing.
A man of foolish pursuits
Downwindtracker2, you know the rules around here - no pic, didn't happen.

r2
John Walters book only lists the 813 up to 14"
The 813 was offered in the 16in size in the late 1920s and 1930s from what I see in the catalogs. It's a super rare size to find. Wish I had one

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

When I put it beside the Millers Fall #30, it had about the same sweep. The #30 is only listed up to 14",too. However clearly marked on the #813 is -16in-X. It's in such good shape and the stamp so deep you can't mistake it. I think they played a little loose with the sizes. It's 7 1/2" to 7 3/4 " on the tape, center to center. It looked like the seller had picked up an auction lot as it and the other braces had 538 stickers on them. Another seller said there was a 6"brace, but the rest were run of the mill, even a corner brace. Besides I spent my allowance already.

Now I just have to go build a timber frame house. A brace like this would be so much safer than getting your wrist broken by a big 1/2" electric drill motor.
I up-graded from a 10" brace to a 12" to turn my hollow auger. I was surprised how much easier it turned. A 16" must be awesome!
That is one heck of a find. The 813 was one of their best braces and the 16" size makes it even better.

From the Stanley '32 catalog, its the only brace listed made in a 16" throw; Lion chuck too! Rare as "modern" braces go.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I found a A.A. Wood & Sons Co. dowel maker there a few weekends back so I guess the brace has a use outside of wooden ships and heavy timber construction. I'm not a really a collector per se, rather a lover of fine usable tools.
I googled "hardware" in google books, free books, and you can find hardware trade magazines, in one from 1908 there was a Stanley brace advert listing the #813, but only up to 14", so the 16" came later. Great find.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis