Ibuprofen and Sharpening A Rant
It's my belief the pointer the chisel ,the better it works. For me to get the end pointy and not roundy, I need a jig. I tried the Eclipse jig, but that was like riding a unicycle, it was that stable. LV sells one with nice wide roller. You can clamp it on and run through the grits. You end up with something truly dangerous.

Current chisel design has to take into account 22oz or bigger framing hammers. Not only do the handles have metal caps and anti vibration material, but the metal ends are stout. I think they may also like women like that as well. I'm a fan of light and graceful with a sensuously fitting handle. Old chisels were well used hand tools and the designs show it. But some old chisels had owners who spent time at the bar before sharpening their chisels. When I use the LV jig I figure have to start with what I consider a correctly shaped end, square and at the angle. This where the Ibuprofen comes in. Once it's close on the Viel sander/grinder, I use wet/dry 120grit on a granite plate. Sometime three sheets. I tried a 240grit Japanese water stone, while it cut well, it took a lot of time on the 120grit wet/dry to reflatten, defeating it's purpose
I'm not sure there is answer, except more Ibuprofen
A man of foolish pursuits

It's a proven fact too much Ibuprofen can ruin your Kidneys. Act quickly, the life you save may be your own

They do have electricity up there right?

PS do not drop that framing monster on yer toe, you won't die, you'll just wish you did
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It takes practice to sharpen freehand, but it can be done. I hollow grind my chisels on a grinder, and I can register the bevel on a stone with no problem.

But if you have the money and the bench space (I have neither), one of the powered sharpening systems just might be for you. They all have their limitations, but used correctly, they will give you consistently good results.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
There is also your liver to worry about.

Chisel shaping should be in a more serious thread. Canucks poke fun at most anything, including ourselves.
Only thing I was poking any fun at was your use of a 22 ounce framing monster in any form of woodworking. I take kidneys, livers, hearts, and lungs very seriously. Ibuprofen is an uncontrolled, but potentially very dangerous drug. OD of it is a very unpleasant death.

You did seem to be stressing about a simple procedure, and I offered a very workable solution. My apologies if I have upset you in any way. There is an entire field of smiley's, LOL's and other icons to impart when you are joking, maybe you would do well popping one in when you are jesting?

GW
Steve N said:

Only thing I was poking any fun at was your use of a 22 ounce framing monster in any form of woodworking. I take kidneys, livers, hearts, and lungs very seriously. Ibuprofen is an uncontrolled, but potentially very dangerous drug. OD of it is a very unpleasant death.

<<SNIP>>

You will know when to stop using NSAIDs. Pick any holiday to get excruciating stomach pain and fever (almost flu-like symptoms) in order to visit the ER two times a day. Eventually, staff will add 2 and 2 correctly, if you haven't, first.

And, you will survive after Ibuprofen. No fun, but much better than wishing you were dead. I don't know why, but the first experience makes a second nearly unnecessary. Pain is a powerful driver, and deterent.

Seriously.
You're right death never occurs. I was just kidding

GW
Don't worry Steve, my 22oz Plumb has been locked up for over thirty years now.

It was oh good, some more humour , instead we end und up in the ER. Most of the crew of the original Saturday Night Live were Canadian.

I tried lapping a #3 plane. the left arm only last a couple of minutes. Someone was thinking when they installed two.
Hooped chisels aren't for me, either. I suspect they're built this way so newbies can't wreck them mith a framing hammer. I favor the standard Marples chisels for many of the reasons you cover in your rant.

As to squaring up and regrinding, I use a 1 inch grinding belt as sold by LV for reshaping skewed iron. once set straight, most steel won't need further correction.

After that, the preferred hand honing of choice should suffice.

I use two oil stones and a strop, these days.

Don't sweat the ibuprofen if you get annual bloodwork. It's a oerfectly safe drug at the recommended dose.
I think you will like an 8-inch diameter hollow grind behind your micro bevels. At least that is all you need in the first post-wheel hone.

I have Japanese, hooped, chisels that I enjoy using. But the traditional (spec.) flat bevel creates a truly morphine moment, regardless of lamination. Mine weren't flat from the 'factory' and all were done with a tippy guide over steel plates. I plan to introduce them to the wheel at the next major grinding session.

Dang, Steve, that's tempting. Only two dead from Ibuprofen OD. But, luck and statistics never work in my favor.