Daughter's Dutch Tool Chest
My oldest daughter, who is in college, has been getting into woodworking. This Christmas, she got some great hand tools, which she has been keeping in a crate. Over spring break, she and I set to building her a real tool chest. She looked through my back-issues of Popular Woodworking Magazine and settled on the Dutch design. It was definitely a joint-project. She did the joinery and most of the stock prep, and I helped out on some of the more delicate operations, such as jointing edges and planing the tongue and grooves for the back. (She's a leftie, and my plow plane is a righty.) Mostly I was just the workshop consultant, and she did the bulk of the work herself.

This is the end result:

There's no need for a complete build-along, but here are a few representative process pics.

Breaking down stock at the saw bench. In a golf skirt. I didn't know that was possible, but you learn all kinds of new things when the ladies take over the shop.

Knifing in the lines for the dado for the middle shelf. She cut both dadoes all by herself, and they fit nicely after a bit of trimming here and there. We were able to find some pine boards with some cool birdseye figure at the home center.

She cut the dovetails all by herself. They looked a bit messy when they first went together, as dovetails in pine usually do. But after planing them down, we had to shim only three gaps. Not bad for her first real set of dovetails.

Installing hardware was relatively easy. She opted for a hinged front instead of the traditional fall-front. Also, you can tell by the smartphone that this is the new Millennial Generation of Woodworkers.

The top needed some decoration, so she found a Gothic script online and copied it out in paint pen on the top. (Did I mention she's an artist, too?) I think it sets off the hardware pretty nicely.

And here it is, all completed. We're letting the lacquer dry now. I expect it will continue to fill with tools for quite some time.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Looks great, thanks for sharing. Super fun project. And dang well done.
VERY nice work!

Please be sure to tell her I said that.

(you know, cause a total stranger validating her outstanding workmanship is just so cool)

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
You must be very proud of her!

- I'd be.

Cheers
Pedder
She did an outstanding job. Congratulations to both of you.

Also, I do like the Hush Puppie Holdfast
Looks great! Like the artwork on the lid.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Lovely work. Congrats.
BontzSawWorks.net
Cool!

Just to clarify...this is the newest oldest daughter? She's jumping in fast!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
VERY EXCELLENT!!!

--------------------
"Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."