Gas Dryers
I have never even seen a gas clothes dryer in action. At the new house we may have this option. A friend tells me that they are way better than electric dryers. Any comments?
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
We have one, and are pretty pleased. Easy to fix, unless a control board issue. A little more expensive upfront, but more economical (for us at least) to run...Like anything else, there are good and bad makes/models of everything. Suggest you talk to a trusted repairman, not an appliance salesman, for more in depth information...
gas dryers are all I've ever had.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I love them, even if you have LP I think they are cheaper to run than electric. Dry the clothes faster as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
EP said:

I have never even seen a gas clothes dryer in action. At the new house we may have this option. A friend tells me that they are way better than electric dryers. Any comments?

my last three dryers have been gas. My future dryer will be electric. I've done enough laundry with both types that the tiny monthly savings is not worth the higher initial cost, increased danger of fire and other issues. Electrics do just as good a job in my opinion these days because even though gas is hotter the exhaust adds moisture back into the warm air.

Unless your electric rates are ludicrous, get electric.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I have had both and gas wins without question for me. Same for a kitchen range.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
It depends on two things, first, your electric cost versus gas cost; next, how much you are using it, in the sense that if you have 4 kids and are doing loads every day, then it makes a difference in operating cost if, as I suspect, gas is cheaper in your area. Last purchase, it was just me and my bride, so not a lot of volume, and I went with electric, but have always had gas before and was very satisfied.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've been using the same Sears gas dryer for 30 years. NG is a lot cheaper than electricity even where I live. If the gas service is there I'd go with a gas dryer. If you have to pay extra to have the gas line run, then I think it will depend upon how long you plan to live there.

John
We have a LPG dryer and it's been exceptional. Outlasted the electric ones by a lot and it's been cheap to run. We do a lot of laundry with 2 kids and a cattle farm, you can imagine the clothes we get dirty.

As others stated, depends on the number of loads, gas line installation, cost of gas vs. electricity.

Some areas may even have a tax credits or other credits for using gas, but I'm not positive about that.
One advantage to gas is that it doesn't use as much electricity as an electric. When a black out occurs, 4 - 6 KWgenny can power it. A Much larger unit is needed to power an electric dryer.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.