unvented attic in 1970's home
Wild Turkey said:

"North Texas" covers a lot of ground (and climate)

What city is the house in/near? Dallas/Ft. Worth and Amarillo have very different cooling/heating needs but both can be considered "North Texas".

(I grew up near Amarillo -- didn't need A/C until I moved to Lubbock)

Amarillo is west texas. North tx is considered the dfw and surrounding area. Then you have the panhandle which is self explanatory. Odd but tx is described in big chunks cause of its size.

As to roofing a 12 12 roof. No biggie. No one here can afford to pay to have their roof replaced them selves because the amount of storm damage and the roofing contractors all have inflated prices cause insurance companies are who have roofs replaced.
I don't know of anyone who has ever paid a roofer to do their house. You just wait for a storm and then file a claim and get a new roof.

Also just put on a metal roof. It lasts longer it reflects heat and it lowers your insurance.
It's Just south of Burleson, TX which is southwest DFW. Thanks for the offer Robert Adams, I'll let you know. The local electric company has a bunch of rebates for insulation and energy efficiency. If they will let me do the work, it will pay for 50% of the materials and if not, it may pay for most of the labor for someone else to sweat up there.
Destinmatt said:

It's Just south of Burleson, TX which is southwest DFW. Thanks for the offer Robert Adams, I'll let you know. The local electric company has a bunch of rebates for insulation and energy efficiency. If they will let me do the work, it will pay for 50% of the materials and if not, it may pay for most of the labor for someone else to sweat up there.

Do you have tri county electric. It's a Co-op and they have some rebates for a number of things like heat pump waterheaters etc. For the rest of us not in a Co-op we got nada. Funny thing is if we were just a little to the west or north we would be in their service area. In fact their office and shop facilities are just down the street.

But if you need a hand with anything just let me know. I don't mind helping a local woodnetter.
On August 15th stand on something and place both palms against the ceiling, of your living room, you will have your answer.
      now why did i come in here.
ron
Update the insulation in the attic then ventilate it.

Once the attic insulation prevents the attic heat from transferring into the house, the attic is going to get hotter- you don't want that.
Also remember don't touch anything metal in the attic in the summer. I was running new copper for a friend's ac through the attic and it was a tight spot and I accidentally put my leg against the coil of 3/8 tubing and ended up with nice curved concentric burns on my leg that took a long time to heal.

Attics are dangerous in the summer.
Robert Adams said:

Also remember don't touch anything metal in the attic in the summer. I was running new copper for a friend's ac through the attic and it was a tight spot and I accidentally put my leg against the coil of 3/8 tubing and ended up with nice curved concentric burns on my leg that took a long time to heal.

Attics are dangerous in the summer.

I was working in an attic and was using my fan to help keep cooler. When I was finished for the day (around 1 pm.), the customer wanted to help by having me hand him some of the tools. I handed him my hammer and he quickly dropped it- it burned his hand. He asked that I not work so late in the attic anymore- afraid I was going to die up there before the job was done.