GreenLee chisels
Curious as to whether or not the GreenLee older chisels are worth bothering with?

I keep seeing them posted on fleaBay but I've never handled one. And there pricing doesn't seem 'unfair'.

Do they hold an edge?
Is the metal 'good', meaning does the heat treating work with the chisel or against it?

Anyone have one? Willing to share your thoughts???

Scott (always need another chisel) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
I have several in the rehab box. Socket style with green plastic handles that will be wooden ones when I'm done.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Boatman53 said:

I have several in the rehab box. Socket style with green plastic handles that will be wooden ones when I'm done.
Jim

I got a set of four of the green plastic handled ones. Seem nearly identical to Marples/Record blue handled, Sheffield made. Mine were as new, except the 3/4" that had a badly mangled user grind on it. Steel is good in them and I'll leave the green plastic be, as I have plenty of wood handled chisels and the green adds a bit of color to the shop!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Greenlee made quality chisels, might not have the appeal of Stanley or Berg, you can't go wrong.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
What Slav said....They made first class tools....

Now whether or not the steel has been annealed by turning it blue when grinding, well that's another question. Many vintage tools get a bad rap because a previous owner unknowingly {or accidentally} "de-tempered" them...Fortunately, if you have a propane torch and a container of oil, you can re-harden and re-temper them, providing they were good quality to begin with...{most vintage American made tools were good quality} Plenty of info out there on Youtube to show you how to do it..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I agree with Slav. Mine are good chisels (got some of mine from him). They were made in Rockford, IL, just up the road.
I've got one, and it's every bit as good as my other vintage chisels. I use it all the time.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Quality stuff; if they are cheap its because they are underappreciated, and generally vintage chisels are hard sells nowadays, unless you have the "names" everybody likes. Don't hesitate, if I saw a set on a market table reasonably priced they would be in my bag in a nanosecond.

Edit: I just checked the recent listings on ebay, and they are getting pretty good prices, actually.... so I stand corrected.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Timberwolf said:

What Slav said....They made first class tools....

Now whether or not the steel has been annealed by turning it blue when grinding, well that's another question. Many vintage tools get a bad rap because a previous owner unknowingly {or accidentally} "de-tempered" them...Fortunately, if you have a propane torch and a container of oil, you can re-harden and re-temper them, providing they were good quality to begin with...{most vintage American made tools were good quality} Plenty of info out there on Youtube to show you how to do it..

Certain types of steel require different kinds of heat treating to keep them from being overly brittle, or just soft...

I know how to do 1095 steel, but that is about it....

Scott (thanks everyone) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
I have a pair of Greenlee chisels that i have been using for about 50 years. My grandfather bought them in 1930. They are tang chisels and have a logo with Greenlee on a straight ribbon with an oval background with Rockford Il. The only steel I have used that is finer is 19th century English.

The tangs are very fine, which is nice for changing a handle. I put longer handles on as they have been used quite a bit.

Around 1980, with the hand tool renaissance, Greenlee started marketing chisels again, but they were not manufacturing them. So if a chisel looks like it was made in Sheffield, it probably was the same as some contemporary English manufacture.