Adhesive for EPDM
What is a good adhesive/caulking for EPDM rubber roofing material? I need it to work for rubber to rubber, rubber to wood and rubber to aluminum. I'm doing some flashing repair that involves some EPDM that was put down 10 years or so ago and need a small quantity of something. It would be nice if I could get something in caulking gun tubes from the Big Box store. When I put the stuff down originally, I had to get 5 gal buckets of a contact cement like adhesive. I don't need more than a qt for what I'm doing now. Can't use asphalt roofing cement. It eats the EPDM. Any recent experience out there?
I looked around and then called 3M. They pointed me to this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Black-Industria...eywords=3m+4799

3M adhesive 4799. 5 ounce tube for $18. Not cheap but seemed to work well for me.

EPDM is a finicky material. The wrong adhesive will either eat the EPDM, harden the EPDM, or just not stick. I used this to resecure the EPDM rubber roof on my camper.

Word of warning it says brushable. The only way I could apply it was a plastic body filler spatula. I don't know what they mean by brushable.
Anthony,
Thanks for the info. It is a bit pricey isn't it? But, when it comes to roof leaks, cost is secondary. I'm also looking into this . It doesn't cost as much, but I don't know them as well as 3M products. So, it needs a bit more research.

I'm glad you told me how to apply it. I didn't know if it was a contact like material or if the pieces had to be held together until dry.
Just about every roofing supply house can sell you a gal pail. That's the smallesy it comes in. Adhesive is rarely even used any more. Everything is butyl tape. The make a bare tape a on one that has tape bnded to Epdm. Depending on what you was to stick to you van buy a roll f eternabond. Clan rubber with white gas and stick it to both surfaces you need covered
Look for a repair kit, I got one a few years ago and it had a small bottle of adhesive
Thanks for all the advice. I found a small quantity of the yellow contact cement that is used to stick the EPDM down to the sheathing and, I think, that is all I need. I thought that I might need to stick some of the EPDM to itself, but it appears that won't be necessary. So. I think I'm done. Thanks again.