Looking at a higher flow DC.. Griz 0562
Anyone have this double bagger. I need a higher flow unit for my shop and would prefer a big cyclone but the price on the 0562 along with the much higher airflow.

Any thoughts on it? Only issue is my duct work is 6" and the dc has a 7" outlet but I don't think that will be that big of an issue.
Our shop has this machine and it works well.
We'd looked at a Grizzly cyclone and spoke to their tech guys. Problem was that a cyclone's collection bag is much smaller than the 2 collection bags on the 0562. We fill both bags daily; we'd fill a the cyclone every two hours. We use the Rockler cyclone kit and a steel garbage can for catching the heavy stuff. Works fine, only fine dust ends up in the bags.
As for the 7" outlet and 6" pipe; run 7" pipe from the machine into a T or Y junction and use 2 7" to 6" reducers. This will give you good suction in 2 directions.
Robert, l have both the 2hp and the 3hp units with the pleated filters. I like both a lot but don't see much difference in the suction of the two. I had a cyclone and actually like these better. I had a Penn State 2hp unit and its big issue was you can't clean the filter with internal flappers. It lost power pretty fast. I'm sure if you have a lot of duct work the 3 hp would make a difference but I have short relatively strait runs so they both seem about the same which makes sense. They have the same impeller. The only difference is more filter area and 1HP. They have the same RPM. Under load I'm sure there is a difference though. For my duct work I just used 6" HVAC duct from HD. The big upgrade I made was I added one of the Super Dust Deputy XL's an it makes a huge difference. Changing the bags is a huge PITA. With this set up I empty the bag every 6 months or so and I use the collector every day.
I had picked up a 2 hp older Oneida locally and it wasn't impressive. In fact it wasn't any better than a hfdc sadly enough. So it sold a while back and I'm running most tools with dedicated shop vacs or a modified hfdc with big oversized bags etc. All the while all the 6" ducting isn't being used for anything. I'm doing allot more in the shop and will be doing quite a bit of work for me and kitchen projects etc for customers and family. Allot of stuff before I pack it all up and move.

So I'm tired of working in the dust again and the old style sawdust and chips piling everywhere is getting old. And breathing that crap is bad as well.

When I do set up shop after the move I will be doing quite a bit more and you can never have enough dc airflow...

Right now I'm looking at the two griz machines. The 0562($709) and the g1030 ($449) which is the same machine with bags instead of filters.
Space is always an issue but for a 3 hp machine and 2300cfm (their number) that's not a bad deal for that much air movement. Their cheapest cyclone at $1025 doesn't even move half that much (their numbers).

I'm really leaning toward the bagged version for price and I have had a dc with a filter and it would plug up very quickly when running the drum sander.

Oh and when I do certain woods the chips are saved for the grill and smoker just like the scraps. Got two cans of cherry chips a saved for the smoker next weekend... Most of the bags go in the big green truck that stops out front.

Any reasons to wait it out and get a 3 hp cyclone?
(03-20-2016, 05:32 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Robert, l have both the 2hp and the 3hp units with the pleated filters. I like both a lot but don't see much difference in the suction of the two.
<snip> 
I'm sure if you have a lot of duct work the 3 hp would make a difference but I have short relatively strait runs so they both seem about the same which makes sense. They have the same impeller. The only difference is more filter area and 1HP. They have the same RPM. Under load I'm sure there is a difference though.

If they have the same impeller, and since they both have 2-pole motors (3600 rpm), they're going to perform the same, the only exception being that with reduced restriction, more air will flow (both) but the bigger motor won't overload as readily.  With a single duct network or machine connected, all other things being equal, including filters, the performance would be the same.  Again, that's if the impellers are the same.

With a system with a restrictive duct network, a blower with a higher max static SP would suggest better flow rate at that high restriction, but with the penalty of potential overloading at high flow rates due to low restriction.  It's why industrial blowers are designed for different SP ranges and matching input power for a given flow rate.  A high pressure blower moves less air through more restriction than a low pressure blower, for the same input power.  But the HP blower is more easily overloaded if the restriction is removed or inadequate.

Just sayin'.
Smile
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Robert

This is the one I want to G0562ZP   http://www.grizzly.com/products/3HP-Doub...es/G0562ZP

I do think it is better to have to much then to little.  Also at the price of $814.00 delivered is a pretty good deal and will do anything me and the other vets need.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
TDKPE, according to Grizzly's web sit their 1 1/2, 2, and 3 hp dust collectors all have the same size impeller.

For a long time I ran several single stage dust collectors through my shop to keep up with the dust collection. I finally bit the bullet and sold all my single stage dust collectors and bought a big cyclone. As gos as the single stage unit worked the cyclone is a HUGE improvement. The increased airflow at the machines is huge. I would say if there is anyway you can swing a good cyclone get one. In the long run you will be a lot happier with it.
(05-07-2017, 04:51 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: TDKPE, according to Grizzly's web sit their 1 1/2, 2, and 3 hp dust collectors all have the same size impeller.
Same diameter, but likely not the same depth, number of vanes, and/or design of vanes.  They all spin at the same speed (direct-drive, so they have to), so if they were the same impeller, they'd all have the same max SP value, which is at or near zero flow.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Just for clarification about the same impeller size among the 3 rated DCs. The 2HP & 3HP do indeed use the same impeller and the 1.5HP has a separate but identical diameter (12.75) impeller. I would guess that the fins are not as tall in the 1.5HP unit thus reducing total available airflow. Along with what TDKPE stated is airflow restrictions will make a difference. More specifically, the housing size and openings (restrictions) will change the CFM and current requirement for the same impeller. The 2HP has a 6" inlet and the 3HP has a 7" inlet. If you look at the Cincinnati fan tables for the same impeller but different housing you will see different fan curves for the same impeller, both in CFM and current requirements. Even the same impeller in the same housing with different inlet sizes changes the curves.

Hope that helps clear the dust, so to speak (-:

Carl
This discussion points out a couple of key things, often overlooked.  The stated CFM is with nothing more than a test pipe on the inlet side, and a brand new set of bags, filters, whatever.  The minute you start adding hose or piping on the inlet side, and dust starts plugging up whatever is on the outlet side, the CFM goes down, often dramatically.  You need at least 800 CFM through a 6" pipe to move sawdust and chips.  So while the specs. may say 1500 CFM keep in mind that's not what it will have after it's hooked up and the filters start plugging up.  Dave's point about stepping up to a cyclone is good advise because well designed cyclones keep all but the finest dust out of your bags/filters, which preserves flow.  Large piping of short length, minimal hose, and good design are key to maintaining as much flow as possible, too. 

A 3 HP cyclone DC is about the minimum for a small shop if you want to have a central system with piping running to your machines.  You can even make due, as I did for a long time, with a 2 HP unit and no cyclone if the runs are short enough.  And of course you can do fine with an even smaller, portable DC if you are willing to move it from machine to machine as needed.  What doesn't work is a large central piping system running to an undersized DC.  A 2HP one just isn't going to cut it - unless you do a couple of radical things, as I recently did. 

I tore apart my 2 HP Grizzly and mounted the fan directly on top of a cyclone.  That minimized the pressure drop between the two.  I threw away the bags, upsized the exhaust from 5" to 6", and hosed (ducting would be better) the exhaust out a nearby window.

[Image: KvvS_MOB4POBSVGoZA6_mKt9NP6GfUsKiRGK9dV7...71-h628-no]

Those changes took my static pressure near the cyclone from about 4" (for a unit that was rated at 11", and was with nothing hooked to it) to over 8", and the SP at my large BS from about 1.5" to about 3.5".  Prior to this change sawdust would build up in the BS; now it stays clean no matter how long I run stock through it.  An added bonus is the smaller footprint of the DC system and never having to clean bags or filters.  And, best of all, I have the cleanest air possible in my shop.  Even the best filters don't capture everything.  I did have to install a make up air system but that wasn't difficult, and I have not found it to significantly effect the temp. in my shop even in Winter.  

John