Estate Sale/Garage Sale Lumber
I am curious why there seems to be little interest in finding materials at garage/estate sales compared to finding old tools. Perhaps it is the chance to find a valuable old tool? I recently took my pickup to a sale on Craig's list that was at a defunct commercial woodworking shop. Lots of power tools in the ad, also a large rack of lumber. I got there well before starting time but they were already open and people were buying tools. I headed to the lumber rack and was the only one there, but was joined shortly by another woodworker. He was interested in the oak and I in the maple and cherry, if there was any. Worked out well as we helped each other sort through the wood. The sellers didn't know oak from maple and were open to offers. I got about 50-60 bd. ft. of excellent 6/4 hard maple for $30; The other fellow got a much bigger pile of oak, I think for $50.

I suppose one reason for the lack of interest is that "pickers" are after the tools; pretty hard to sell 6/4 x 10ft. oak and maple on ebay.
Most of the tool hunters I run into at garage/estate sales are either collectors of tools or flea market vendors/antique shop owners looking for inventory, not woodworkers. I've picked up some awesome deals on hardwoods, including tiger and Birdseye maple, figured cherry, mahogany and QS white oak. And you're right, very little competition.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Every time I go to an estate or garage sale that lists tools I'm always scouting for wood. Look in the rafters, corners, wherever.
Never had any luck
I wish I had that problem. Actually I do, no room for more wood.
johndi said:

Every time I go to an estate or garage sale that lists tools I'm always scouting for wood. Look in the rafters, corners, wherever.
Never had any luck

You never know, I stopped at an unadvertised house sale, where the couple was selling everything to live in an RV and travel, and the guy was a retired furniture restorer, and I bought a whole bunch of wood from him, nobody else was interested. Luck of the draw, but you have to be out there, consistently. That takes a lot of time, and gas . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I think it's easier for picker/re-sellers to accurately value and re-sell tools than it is lumber. Many of then wouldn't know the difference between cherry or pine. It's just wood to them.
I had to stop buying lumber, but sometimes I can't help myself. I have nowhere to store it, but I bought about 30 bf of cherry a few weeks ago for $20. I could/would have bought more but I don't have anywhere to put it.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

I had to stop buying lumber, but sometimes I can't help myself. I have nowhere to store it, but I bought about 30 bf of cherry a few weeks ago for $20. I could/would have bought more but I don't have anywhere to put it.

Time to build a shed.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Maybe because old tools are harder to come by than lumber. If I buy an old tool, I can use it a long time, or restore it and perhaps sell it. Most wood gets consumed. Also, the wood takes up more space than the tools (depending on what tools you buy). It's easier for me to haul away a couple of hand planes and saws than to load up 100 BF of lumber.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
OK, Rich, time to add wood to your frequent Swap 'N Sell listings. I'd be happy to help you make some room by buying nice figured lumber you found behind someone's garage.