TransFast Water-soluble Powdered Dye
How cold is too cold to apply this product?

It's going to be 55-60 degrees in the basement where I'm applying it.
below is the data sheet for this product

Top-coating the Dye TransFast Dyes must be finished with a clear finish to seal the color. Any finish can be used; however problems can occur with certain finishes. When top- coating with water-based finishes, the dye can migrate or “bleed” into the topcoat causing a muddy appearance. We recommend using non-water based sealer such as dewaxed shellac or an oil finish to eliminate this. Also when wiping or brushing water based finishes and shellac, some dye can be picked up by the brush or rag. Sealing with an oil based finish will alleviate this problem, or you can spray the product rather than wiping. A very easy solution is to spray over the dye with aerosol shellac (Zinsser Brand) to lock down the dye.

So can this be done (the part in bold) and then apply a water based poly which is what I want to do.
+1 for LIL
You can get better results by mixing your own shellac as that way you know what you are getting. Shellac also comes in a number of colors naturally and you can take advantage of this and avoid the dye step entirely in many cases. Shellac sprays or wipes on just fine at lower temperatures. The lower temperature slows the drying of the shellac and makes it easier to work with for somethings. I've applied it below 0°F and I cant see any reason why it could not be applied down to the freezing point of the shellac/alcohol mixture. Ethanol freezes at -114°C, -176°F, 159K.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 said:

... I cant see any reason why it could not be applied down to the freezing point of the shellac/alcohol mixture. Ethanol freezes at -114°C, -176°F, 159K.

I can see a reason it can't be applied at those temperatures, and it has nothing to do with the finish.
You just need warm blooded enthusiasm—or a real good cryogenic suit
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Short answer is: Above freezing. Its a "water-based" dye. Your good in the 50 degree range. Concern about temperture range comes into play when applying a seal coat which was not your question.