stupid mistake... Need suggestions
Okay, I've been turning for about 7-8 years, but took a long break after we moved to a new house and didn't have a shop. Well, after getting the shop built, I had back surgery. After getting over the surgery, I pulled my Rikon 70-100 lathe out, set it up, and started turning again. I put my chuck on it to turn some fridge magnets, and somehow (still can't figure out how) the chuck worked loose, and I didn't notice. Flipped the switch, and now the chuck is jammed on. I've tried locking the headstock and using a big crescent to loosen it (bent the spindle lock pin). Tried using a ratchet strap as a strap wrench to hold the spindle and then tightened a long board in the chuck to break it loose (that didn't work either). I'm kind of at my wit's end. I know that I SHOULD have had a nylon washer between the spindle and the chuck, but we all know how hindsight is. Does anybody have a recommendation on breaking the chuck loose? I've got to get some pens made, and I really need that chuck off of there.

Not that it particularly makes a difference, but the chuck is a woodriver chuck from woodcraft.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks a million.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Pipe wrench on the spindle. Pipe wrench on the chuck. Hit it with a hammer rather than a steady pull.

Twinn
Will post for food.
I am not implying anything but are you turning it the right way? DAMHIKT

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
+1 on both the above replies. Make sure of rotation, then rap with hammer.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Find some way to hook it to an air or electric impact wrench. sharp impacts work better than even pressure.
Chuck a metal bar in the jaws and use that as a lever to twist the chuck off.
VH07V  
If that doesn't work try a longer bar but as others have said solid impact is the type of force that will work the best.
How about some penetrating oil where the chuck meets the headstock? Can't hurt, might help.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
EightFingers said:

Chuck a metal bar in the jaws and use that as a lever to twist the chuck off.

Wood, no sense risking damage to the jaws. Sharp rap rather than strain and spin to begin.

Crescent on the nut, strap wrench on the chuck.

In the future, make sure you're spun down before spinning up.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Believe it or not, a washer cut out of a piece of cereal box cardboard works better than a nylon washer IMO. The nylon isn't 100% even and so can introduce run-out/wobble in your chuck. The cardboard washer does the same task - prevents the chuck from getting stuck on, costs nothing, and is easily replaced if need be. (Though I used my last one for over 2 years without a problem - replaced it only because it looked bad.)

I don't know if it'll help, but automatic transmission fluid (ATF) mixed half-and-half with acetone is a fantastic penetrating lubricant... works better than the commercial offerings from studies I've seen. If you have an air hammer (or know somebody who has one that you could borrow), try hitting it with that a few times. Just make ABSOLUTELY 100% CERTAIN you're going the right way to get it off or everything will be chuck work from now on...
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog