stupid mistake... Need suggestions
jppierson said:

[blockquote]dow said:

Wipedout: Set screws?

Look around the chuck between the headstock and back of the chuck for small holes with an allen screw head inside. There will be more than one (see my previous post). Loosen the set screws. In my case I had to tighten the chuck a bit to release the pressure between the set screw and thread.

[/blockquote]

Okay, I'll look. Weird, but in six plus years of owning this chuck, I've never noticed any set screws anywhere.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

That's what I was thinking. You would have to tighten the set screws before you could forget to loosen them.

Twinn
Will post for food.
dow said:

Trimmed a 2x4 so that the jaws would fit it, tightened the chuck jaws down and started flipping it around to slam into the frame on the back side with the power switch in hopes of jarring it loose. Finally broke the 2x4, but haven't been able to budge the chuck. I wouldn't have thought that there was any way that 1" x 8 threads would be able to lock down that tight.

That's very surprising. I would carefully recheck everything at this point - make sure there are not any set screws or other fasteners, make sure I was not confused about the thread direction, and have someone else double check me.

Then I would try freezing the spindle with freeze-it spray (to slightly shrink the shaft) and try it again.

Can you remove the chuck jaws to leave only the back plate of the chuck and check more carefully for hidden fasteners?
geek2me said:

That's very surprising. I would carefully recheck everything at this point - make sure there are not any set screws or other fasteners, make sure I was not confused about the thread direction, and have someone else double check me.

Nope. No set screws. The chuck is a standard 1" X 8 thread screw on chuck. It screws on to the standard 1" x 8 threads on the outside of the spindle. The threads are right handed and have not changed in the six or seven years I've owned the chuck and lathe.
Quote:

Then I would try freezing the spindle with freeze-it spray (to slightly shrink the shaft) and try it again.

What's freeze-it spray? Never heard of it.
Quote:

Can you remove the chuck jaws to leave only the back plate of the chuck and check more carefully for hidden fasteners?

Removed the jaws. That exposes the mounting lugs that they are mounted on. The only way to get to the inner workings of the chuck is to remove a large spring clip from the back of the unit which "should" allow you to remove the tightening ring from the back along with the rest of the internal parts. Unfortunately, this ring can't be removed with the chuck mounted on the lathe spindle.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great.
What brand is the chuck?
Any photos possible?
It's a woodriver from woodcraft. Identical to this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/146801/...-8tpi.aspx

I've currently got a set of pin jaws on it, but otherwise, it's the same.
A call to the local Woodcraft says the chuck DOES NOT have set screws.
Bob Atchison said:

A call to the local Woodcraft says the chuck DOES NOT have set screws.

You noticed that too, huh?
I think someone snuck in while you weren't looking and put set screws in the chuck. They may even have reversed the threads.

Twinn
Will post for food.
I'm amazed you can not get it off. With the lathe locked and a big wrench and baby sledge, that should do it. Using sturdy whomps with the hammer, should break it free slowly, without risk of damage.

In other words, get a bigger hammer.