How d@#%*
Many different and oddball threads did Stanley use?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

At least three oddball threads are on most Baileys.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Working on an early 78. Near as I can figure, 4 @ 3/16 x 24, 2 @ 1/4 x 28 and 1/4 x 18 in the lever cap.
Blackhat

The thread on the brass adjuster wheel on many of Stanley's planes is 9/32-24 LEFT HAND. Try to find a tap for that! Even the custom tap and die makers said "no". I ended up making my own tap on a lathe.
This is Part 1 and Part 2 of a treatise on this subject.

http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/Stanley%20Planes%20and%20Screw%20Threads%20-%20Part1%201.pdf

http://www.tttg.org.au/Content/Stanley%20Planes%20and%20Screw%20Threads%20-%20Part2%202.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Interesting read. Thank you.
Blackhat

Common threads are a recent invention. As a millwrights some of us took some interest, I remember a partner talking about restoring an old John Deere tractor. odd pitch size bolts Metric is even more recent as in 1970s, We had a early 70s Japanese machine, we couldn't lose any bolts otherwise we had to retap. Later 70s Japanese were OK.
A man of foolish pursuits
Downwindtracker2 said:

Common threads are a recent invention.

Yes. Those threads weren't necessarily odd when Stanley decided on them. And they weren't alone. Sargent used slightly different thread sizes pitches that also didn't get included in the pitching roster when thread standardization happened.

What impresses/puzzles me is that Stanley stuck by these thread pitches years after thread standardization. It would have been more logical to make a break at some point, and replace the non-standard threads with standard sizes/pitches.