A new thing for me - sharpening & using Stanley No. 12
I've never posted on this part of the forum. Rarely use planes, hand saws, etc. but last week I acquired a Stanley 12 from Admiral. He send me Ralph Brendler's article on scrapers. I was hoping that you all could share your jigs and procedures to get the 45 degree angle edge on the iron. File like Brendler, disk sander, grinder? Jigs?

Thank you for your help.
Dan
Just for everyone's information, here's the link to Ralph's article, courtesy of Ron Hock.

Dan: I just chock it up on my Tormek, but any grinder would do just as well.

Ralph on Scrapers
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That scraper article is excellent. Here's another one , from Chrispher Schwarz, that combines methods into one recipe. It's primarily for card scrapers.

In regards to scraping planes, they can work quite well without a turned burr. Many people with the #112 scraping plane, including myself, go without the turned burr. By honing a simple 45 degree edge as well as you can with your sharpening stones, you can use the same plane angle setting each time you rehone the blade. It's finding that optimal angle adjustment that frustrates so many owners of these planes. What I do to find that setting angle is to remove the sharp blade from the scraper and use it the same way you would use any card scraper. The angle that works when you hold in your hand is also the angle you need to set in the plane. That method is from Deneb at Lie-Nielsen.
Paul Hamler did one of the best videos on sharpening scrapers I've ever seen. It was recorded at a presentation he did for a woodworking club somewhere in Georgia, IIRC. I've lost he link. Does anyone have it?
Hank Knight in SC said:

Paul Hamler did one of the best videos on sharpening scrapers I've ever seen. It was recorded at a presentation he did for a woodworking club somewhere in Georgia, IIRC. I've lost he link. Does anyone have it?

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiC15vRQv_4
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you all for the help. I think I will try to make a jig to hold it and shape and hone it on my WorkSharp (on the top of the wheel). Then I'll try Mike's method without the burr.
Dan
Dan Jones said:

I've never posted on this part of the forum. Rarely use planes, hand saws, etc. but last week I acquired a Stanley 12 from Admiral. He send me Ralph Brendler's article on scrapers. I was hoping that you all could share your jigs and procedures to get the 45 degree angle edge on the iron. File like Brendler, disk sander, grinder? Jigs?

Thank you for your help.
Dan

It's a while since I last used a scraper plane since double iron BD planes and high cutting angles on BU planes have been all I needed outside cabinet/card scrapers. Nevertheless, I do have a Stanley #112, which is essentially the same as a #12. Over time I came to grind the bevels at 30 degrees, rather than 45 degrees. This made it easier to turn a hook on the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Dan Jones said:

Thank you for your help.
Dan

Some of the Eclipse style jig clones will open to accept a #80 blade. Is the #12 the same width? Mine aren't handy to check.

However it is easy to make a 45 block and use it to draw file the bevel. Then polish then roll the burr.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Dan Jones said:

Thank you all for the help. I think I will try to make a jig to hold it and shape and hone it on my WorkSharp (on the top of the wheel). Then I'll try Mike's method without the burr.
Dan

I cut a 45° angle off a piece of 2 x 4 and then cut a rabbet on the bottom to clear the WS disc. If you are looking for a little better than good enough, then that is your ticket. Otherwise use any jig that will hold the blade - at a 45° angle and go to town.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Admiral said:

[blockquote]Hank Knight in SC said:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiC15vRQv_4

[/blockquote]

Thanks Admiral!