Skim coating a painted wall?
I'm planning to skim coat my back porch area because the walls are a little rough, textured in places and not in others, some flaking. Removing the paint isn't a realistic option - 65 years worth of it, at least some of it lead based.

After watching a few YouTube videos and reading a few articles online here's my 'subject to change' plan:

Patch holes, scrape loose paint off, wash with TSP, prime with a bonding agent if I can find one. Several articles, videos used setting type mixed a little thinner than normal and rolled on with a 3/4" nap paint roller - then trowel smooth with a squeegee type trowel.

I don't have a large area to do, most of the walls are going to be behind cabinets.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Bill
Indoors?

I've done it two ways.
1. Pulled off all the moldings and outlet covers then put 1/4" sheetrock over it and added 1/4" spacers on the outlets and cut and nailed in 1/4" extension jambs. I had a living room with glued paneling which when removed, destroyed the wall.

2. I mixed hot (45 minute) mud a little thin, applied and sanded. You will have to sand out any flaking paint. It's a lot of sanding but I would do this if it was a small area.

I haven't tried a squeegee. You really need a good straight mud knife, at least 10"-12" in my opinion. But, if you've seen it done with a squeegee and it worked, I've learned something. That just seems to me like you'll be doing a lot of sanding down high spots.
I've done it and it actually works pretty well, even for a drywall hack like me. The key is to mix the mud a little thinner and use a good, and I mean really good trowel like a Marshalltown trowel. I used a 20" one and was able to get things darn smooth. Then I used a screen on a Fein shop vac to sand the wall and I got it as smooth as fresh drywall. It was a bit of work but I got it in one coat and sanding.
I have done it several times as I hate wall texture and it's very common here and much of it is thick...

Inside I clean sand off the high stuff and trowel on with a wide knife then go back over with the squeegee. Much faster and better finish quickly than just using a knife.

Outside areas dunnow. Never seen drywall outside other than garages which imo it's not a good material for garages as the moisture will bring the tape down eventually.

Also for skim coating I find hot mud much easier because it sets up quicker. Regular mud takes too long to dry and will get damaged by passers by and hot mud makes a slightly harder surface.
Never did anything differently. Normal trowel and normal mud. Put it on and sand when smooth. A power sander helps.

Scrape the wall before you start. All those little flecks in the paint will be the band or your existence.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My brother-in-law's younger brother worked for a movie set builder in California for a while. He said that they routinely built home interior sets using 1/4" birch ply instead of sheetrock (I assume because of weight considerations). To make it appear like sheetrock they thinned the mud and applied it with a paint roller, flattened and sanded. So I know that method works.

But make sure you use the right type of mud. Some specifically state "not for skim coating".
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I guess I didn't specify, it's indoors, off my kitchen - I'm going to put storage cabinets in.

Did any of you prime or use a bonding agent before putting the mud on? Did you do the ceiling too? There's a crack in mine, I can probably just scrape and patch that.

What kind of mud did you use?

I hate texture too, the whole house has it.

Thanks, Bill

I would recommend Kilz PRO-X High Build P40 Primer. It's available in one and five gallon containers. Spraying is best but you can roll it if needed.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Here is some information re: using a Magic Trowel squeegee.

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/magic_trowel

http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/ho...s/view-all
Lynden said:

Here is some information re: using a Magic Trowel squeegee.

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/magic_trowel

http://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/ho...s/view-all

I ordered the magic trowel and it will arrive tomorrow. Does anyone know what type of roller to use?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.