"Temporary" patio door stairs
I have a patio door that currently leads to nowhere. I need to build a set of stairs that will be replaced with a full deck at a later date. They will be in use for a reasonable amount of time such that they need to be more than temporary construction steps - need to be to code and good enough that in the event the deck project doesn't happen, they can be left as a permanent solution.

The patio doors (72" wide) sit approximately 48" above ground. My understanding is I need a platform at the doors with a minimum depth of 36". My question is whether I need posts at the corners of the 72"x36" platform, or whether I can just hang joists off the ledger and support their other end lag-bolted to the stair stringers. I'd probably use 4 stringers.

Kind of a mini-deck vs "extended" stringer question...

Thanks
Read the DCA 6 Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide to learn code and proper building technique. Is there any room in the budget to make the deck a lil bigger if the stairs were a lil smaller?

An 8x8 mini deck will at least let you hang a BBQ out there. Maybe then you can use some of the post footings again in the later expansion saving you more money and time down the road.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.