Forgot that feeling
I had to move to SOCAL about two and a half years ago from NW Florida. During this time I have had very little time to get into woodworking. I have been trying to build a bench for a good portion of that time and I came to some realizations.

1) I miss all the free time I had in the evenings to work and clear my mind.

2) The availability of wood, from SYP to domestic hardwoods in some areas are a lot harder to find.

3) Douglas fir and spruce are not nearly as fun to work as SYP. Either very splintery or very warpy( very technical terms).

4) Being in the Mojave desert with humidity in the teens is a new learning experience from humidity above 90%.

But in the last week I have had my schedule open up and am now finally able to get my shop together. I have nearly finished the workbench and even made a box with my step daughter for her mom. The whole time I have a smile on my face due to being able to work with her and being able to do something with physical results. Now comes the setting up of the shop, sharpening everything, and starting the honey do list.

Anyone have ideas on where to start getting back into the swing of things.

Thanks
Chris

I hold to the hillbilly standard that there is no situation so hopeless that, through perseverance, I cannot make worse.
I swing in and out of workshop activity. The only way to get back into the swing of things is to just get back into the shop with a plan and start building things.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
About 1 1/2 ago I decided to return to school and get a degree. My shop time is almost none existent any more. I only have about 2 more years to go then I should finally gain my shop time back.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I assume that you are out by Lancaster or the airfield. That being the case you will have to drop down the hill and go to the LA area wood vendors. Get on google and look for hardwood vendors/dealers (don't worry about all the flooring shops.) Allan Hill may pipe up since he lives in the (assumed) area.

Give me a yell if you cannot find anything and I'll aim you at the shops I use.

Nothing like a fresh load of lumber to start one's engine.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
cputnam said:

SNIP>>> Allan Hill may pipe up since he lives in the (assumed) area.
<<SNIP

I think Allan moved back to Texas, or somewhere. Too much work interference, if I recall.

But yup. There is always someone chopping up trees; even in the desert. Part of the fun is the hunt. And, then there is the novelty of new woods. I used to think I was deprived in the Pac NW.
hbmcc said:

[blockquote]cputnam said:

SNIP>>> Allan Hill may pipe up since he lives in the (assumed) area.
<<SNIP

I think Allan moved back to Texas, or somewhere. Too much work interference, if I recall.

But yup. There is always someone chopping up trees; even in the desert. Part of the fun is the hunt. And, then there is the novelty of new woods. I used to think I was deprived in the Pac NW.

[/blockquote]

Yeah, I think Allan has already moved, but I also suppose he'll remember his favorite wood haunts. On the other hand, he is also recently married.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I am in Palmdale, which butts up to Lancaster. I had pm'd AHILL and he passed on some locations in LA to get wood. Its a shame I didnt get to meet him while he was here, but woodworking was low on my mental list during that time.

I have not had the opportunity to head that way yet. I am still getting set up and have a small stash of walnut put aside which might be going to a blanket chest/hope chest.
Chris

I hold to the hillbilly standard that there is no situation so hopeless that, through perseverance, I cannot make worse.
I would have responded earlier, but, ironically, I've just returned from a family vacation in Florida. Rainy and cloudy every day there, but still had a great time.

Nope, haven't moved yet. Had an opportunity to stay here and get promoted to director, but that didn't work out. It's still a possibility, but with the company reorganizing, moving folks is kind of on hold. Still might stay here. Kind of complicated right now.

I did respond to the OP by PM, letting him know of all the possible places to buy lumber here. As he stated, locally in the Antelope Valley, lumber is pretty much restricted to what you get at the BORG. The good stuff is "down below" as we refer to the LA area on the other side of the mountains. (The "valley" part of the AV is like 2350 ft altitude, so it's higher than LA.)

My choices for lumber down below are:

Bohnhoff Lumber in Vernon: Best prices but rough sawn. Great customer service. More work to pick, because you have to pick out of pallets of lumber. Bring your work gloves.

Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana: Orange County. Quite a drive, but well-stocked and very accessible. Full-service lumber house with lots of domestics and exotics. Great selection of veneered plywoods and BB as well.

Anderson Plywood in Culver City: Best place for ply of any type, IMO. From shop grade to cabinet grade to furniture grade, including domestic and foreign BB.

Woodcraft and Rocker (multiple locations): Most expensive for lumber, but good selection of turning stock and finishes and whatever other common WW items you might want.

There's also a local guy in Lancaster that sells firewood. (almond, oak, hickory, olive mostly) Great prices if you want to mill up boards for small boxes, carving, pens.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My shop is filled with 50 years of planned projects and lots of interesting wood. Anytime I need a spark, I wander about and pick up something that strikes my fancy. One thing seems to lead to another and pretty soon I am going full out.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com