To escape the insanity of fleaBay bidders
I have started to think there are far too many folks with too much money and not enough sense on fleaBay. Just saw a chisel I bid on go for over a $125, and it was a beat up piece of bent of unknown maker.....my bid? $15(think the shipping was going at $12-ish) OK then....I give up!

Has anyone here made their own chisel(s)?

I have to make an order for some knife steel(1084) next week, and I guess I can order a few 'sticks' of something thicker....I usually get 20ft of 1/8T x 1-1/4W x 4ftL(or 5-sticks). I was wanting to get a few different chisel sizes. In no order, I was wanting a 1-1/2", 1", 1-3/4", and maybe a 'slick' of at least 3"(was thinking I would get some 1/4"T for the 1" and 3/8"T for the other sizes)

My question: Will 1084 steel that is heat treated properly(my knives are typically 58-60RC) be good enough for timber framing duties?

Scott (yes, I have grinders and such) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
Yes, The 1084 will work fine for chisels. Craftsmen got along fine for centuries with plain carbon steel.

Where are you getting 1084? I usually order 5160 from McMaster but would love to use 10xx.
I would love to see the link. It's been my experience that beater chisels don't even go for 15 bux.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

I would love to see the link. It's been my experience that beater chisels don't even go for 15 bux.

Chisel prices have been crazy high lately. Stanley, Swan, Berg, and Witherbys in sets or groups are selling for premium prices. Slicks always get good prices. But once you get past those trendy names and the truly rare and minty stuff, there are tons of work-a-day chisels up there at bargain prices. I love the section on chisels in Schwarz's new book where he says "most, and by most I mean 90, chisels have steel that's better than you need." Same goes for vintage chisels.. there are so many out there and the overwhelming majority have steel that's better than you need.

Give me a couple of old Buck, Butcher, or PS&Ws and I'm good to go.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Why not post a want to buy here and see what folks have on offer?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Speculation is that the Bergs are of something simple, similar to W1. It's the purity of the ore that makes them so good.

1084 would be fine, but I'd go for some thing a little higher like 1095 or O1. They're both oil hardening, easy (relatively) to heat treat, pretty forgiving.
E.A.Berg used carbon steel forge welded to a soft backing. The blades are laminated so to say.
The steel in a laminated blade can be very hard without breaking because it is supported by the backing.

Laminating chisel blades isn't easy. Steel and soft iron have different welding temperatures. The bundle is heated in the forge to red heat. Then covered with borax and heated again to welding heat with the iron downwards towards the heat and the steel upwards. Then hammered together.

Howvever you can easily make some decent substitute chisels from one piece of steel. I would start from a round or square bar depending on what I can find.
Not from flat bar. It is very difficult to upset a good bolster for a tanged chisel on a flat bar. Forging a socket and welding it securely together isn't easy when working with steel instead of soft iron.

Get some round or square bar and start forging!
Good luck!
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Barr make laminated chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
blackhat said:

Why not post a want to buy here and see what folks have on offer?

It's been my experience that the fine folks here know exactly what the prices are on fleaBay, and adjust accordingly. Not saying someone would take advantage, but some would think a person to be 'hard up' and not really looking for a deal...but would pay whatever the going rate is. That is partially the reasoning of going to bargain shop on the fleaBay....although, bargain shopping doesn't seem to work anymore.
After all, I'm willing to 'work over' a beat up/used chisel at a bargain price. But I will not give someone 50times the value to do the same amount of 'repairing'. I often times wonder if some of the folks have proxy accounts, to see if a person will re-bid? Because, the bid was minimum bid all the way to my max bid in the smallest amounts....I digress.

I typically order my steel from one of two places, depending on availability and shipping price.

>>>> NJ <<<<

or

>>>> LINK <<<<

Between these two places, one is generally 'out of stock', but the other will have what I require. Both places have great shipping rates, if you order enough to make it worth the price.

And heat treating 1084 or even 1095 is a piece of pie!

Scott (not inferring anyone to be out for a buck) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
The blade on a slick is easy in a number of ways. I would weld a piece of sawmill planer blade on the end of a low carbon, like they use to make axes. However the socket would have me scratching my head. I may have to blacksmith that!!

I don't think E.A. Berg laminated their blades. http://galootopia.com/old_tools/chisels/...h-chisels/

However I had one Berg that I swear said "You fool, you think you are going to grind me? " then laughed . Mind you I had a Stanley Handiman say the same thing, this time with Yankee accent!
A man of foolish pursuits