Starrett Combination Square
Timberwolf said:

[blockquote]Quote:

Are these squares really as good as their name states?

None better....

[/blockquote]

+1

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
Buy quality and cry once— buy cheap and cry forever

Always true.

Starrett is worth the cost.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
When I had to buy a combination set for work, I went with Mitutoyo. I, along with others consider Mitutoyo to be of higher quality. And they were $20 cheaper. For a chromed blade, it was an extra cost option on the Starrett. Starretts had steel heads as an option. When I changed jobs, the requirements weren't as strict, so I bought a Chinese set and took the good Mitutoyo home. That was 25 years ago and the Chinese one was good.
A man of foolish pursuits
I was lucky enough to have the gumption to close my eyes and hit "Submit Order" about a year ago...

Thankfully, I am now set for life.
Starrett is the best. There are two grades of heads for Starrett combination squares. One is cast iron, and the other is forged steel. Doesn't make a hill of a beans difference in accuracy, but the steel ones will take more abuse and they cost more. Or, you could just take care of your tools. Also, get the satin finished ruler. Easier to read since it doesn't reflect
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Some notable brands besides Starrett you can acquire vintage are Brown and Sharp, Lufkin, Union, Athol (Starrett bought them out). Don't dismiss any vintage tool with these names on them.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
+1

And don't forget Mitutoyo..I put them in the same class and it's the one I use most..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Can't go wrong with a Starrett, but if you're just a little too price-sensitive* for it, then the PECs are sold under several store-brands, including Lee Valley. They work fine.

*a.k.a. "cheapskate"
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Another recommendation for the closeout items at

Harry Epstein.

I bought some double squares from them at a substantial discount, nothing wrong with them except cosmetic issues. They work great and are dead square. I just browsed and they are trying to get rid of some combo squares.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Are these squares really as good as their name states?

Yes. They're all I've used for 30 years. I prefer the hardened steel heads, they seem a tad more rust resistant.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.