Another brilliant tool from Lee Valley
I'm disappointed, though, as I look at the metallurgy, that there's no PM XLII steel used. I'd heard Lee Valley was on the verge of introducing this radical new steel, the answer to everything, in some of its products. I guess it's not quite ready, and some more deep thought will be needed on the part of the LV engineers before we see it.

I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?

TucsonLawrence said:

I just wish they hada CNC version

Lawrence

Programmed, of course, with a slide rule and/or abacus.
Bill_Houghton said:

I'm disappointed, though, as I look at the metallurgy, that there's no PM XLII steel used. I'd heard Lee Valley was on the verge of introducing this radical new steel, the answer to everything, in some of its products. I guess it's not quite ready, and some more deep thought will be needed on the part of the LV engineers before we see it.

I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium?

I especially liked that they used the newly discovered aluminum carbide.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
I'm really glad they made a left handed version, for us lefties.

edit to add; anyone recognize the song playing on the radio in the video?
Wow guys, that was a brilliant April fools tool! The production on that was as good as anything around. Well done!
GNP said:

I'm really glad they made a left handed version, for us lefties.

edit to add; anyone recognize the song playing on the radio in the video?

Yes i am still rolling over it!

Bob
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
To the folks at Veritas: totally

Was very impressed with the totally overblown overengineered specifications. We all understand that we sometimes, perhaps even too often, demand more precision than is required for a given tool.

Y'all are to go out for a beer party after this one. Congratulations!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

"I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?"

AKA Pb-208? You'd have to wait a long time. Half-life of Th-232 is 14.1 billion years (and we’ve supposedly managed only 13.8 billion years so far since the Big-Bang). Another example of LV sparing no efforts to bring us the best.
It really made me laugh. At the 1:59 you see all the saw dust.

I really do like the attaching lights tho and wonder if anyone sells them for regular routers?

Well done Rob well done.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Paul-in-Plymouth said:

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

"I am impressed, though, by the magnesium-thorium-zinc alloy in the pinion gears - I wonder if they used depleted thorium? Or, to state it more precisely, I wonder if they used thorium that had completed the thorium series decay cycle?"

AKA Pb-208? You'd have to wait a long time. Half-life of Th-232 is 14.1 billion years (and we’ve supposedly managed only 13.8 billion years so far since the Big-Bang). Another example of LV sparing no efforts to bring us the best.

obviously the decay cycle is complete, as it's rot-resistant!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp