List of Species in Rusthunting
Like a birdwatchers or a hunters having their lists, I've a list in my head of tools I want. Then there are tools if found would be nice. The last couple of weeks I've found a 3/4" Swedish pattern Footprint chisel that completes a set of four, a #95 Stanley butt gauge, and today at the fleamarket #06 Record foreplane. It's a '52-'57 with rosewood . It's the first #6 I've seen in the wild. I had even contemplated purchasing a new LV!

The tools I'm looking for are for use, if it was collecting, I'ld have take a 12step program.
A man of foolish pursuits
My favorite species is super cheap, closely followed by dirt cheap then just plain cheap!
I don't have a list, per se. I more look towards value, condition and usability. Since I do a lot of cleaning, restoring, and trading, I don't let the rust or even missing parts deter me as I have lots of spare parts. My rusthunting is a 'zero-sum' operation. I don't look to make a profit, but I don't take household funds for my hobby, either.
After doing this for several years, I have a pretty good idea of value of almost any metallic tool and many woodies. Since I predominantly sell local, I don't have the high-end buyers that a Jim Bode or Patrick Leach have (and they earned those buyers, I might add), so value is important. Most of my customers are retired or quite young. A few school shop teachers also, but their budgets are pretty tight.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Oh, I have a list, even though I don't go rust-hunting much anymore. I've filled my tool chest, and I just don't need a lot more tools anymore.

I'm always on the lookout for wide chisels, anything 1" or over. I'm especially fond of Witherbys, though I'm fond of the Greenlees as well. I still want to find a good Stanley knuckle-cap block plane that's not overpriced. And I'm always on the lookout for a Disston 7 (not the D7).

Oh wait! I have a daughter who needs tools. I have a reason to go rust-hunting again!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
It's funny how different things are from one region to another. I've seen at least a 1/2 dozen #6's at flea markets & antique shops over the past year or 2. I'm keeping my eyes open for a #7, but they seem to be a little more rare in these parts.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Yes, the woodworking history of regions vary greatly. Vancouver was pretty sleepy before the war. And the country also affects the chisel brands, in my rust hunt for classic chisels, I've acquired a box of Swedish and English but only two American. That same day I found a 3/4" Eskilunasteel Garanti socket bench, $1, and a Record #52 1/2 wood vise, $10. The big rusty vise is a restoration project. The plane was only $20 and just needs a little cleaning and a sharpening of it's "Best Crucible Cast Tungsten Steel " blade.
A man of foolish pursuits
Bibliophile 13 said:

I still want to find a good Stanley knuckle-cap block plane that's not overpriced.

You and me both. I was giggling like a school girl the last time I spotted one at the flea market only to find it had half the cheek broken off.

Someday

carl
Okay, I'll bite...

Which of the Stanley knuckle cap block planes are you interested in, and what would you consider a fair price for it? I have several...
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I have an 18 and two 65s. The 18 has cosmetic issues, but is structurally sound. Both 65s have chips and cracks around their mouths. I'd like to find a sound 65 body so I had a good low angle user and would like to add a 19 to the flock. My preferred price would be <$10 for the body and $30 for the 19, but I also know I'll be waiting for a while

Phil
My wish list includes a Stanley 10 1/2. I've seen a few at over 100 bucks but I'm waiting for the 25-50 special. Someday.

I found a Stanley 20 last year so I crossed that off.
Don