Stanley #130 Sweetheart
I picked this plane up a few weeks ago, and with the exception of Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore page, can't really find out anything about it. Does anybody use one, and if so, what can you tell me about it and how well it works? I know that the iron and cap can be switched to the other end so that it can act as either a regular block plane or a bullnose plane, but not much else.

Sorry, no pics yet. I'm still getting it cleaned up.

Thanks!
dow
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
dow said:

Thanks!
dow

Always nice to see before and after photos.
The 130 is the double-ended block plane. It is more of an oddity than a useful tool. It's an addition to a collection...but, I hope you didn't pay much for it. I read an article recently stating that unusual and rare tools are scarce for the reason that they weren't very useful and not many were sold. Kind of upside down to our first instinct; right? Number 4's and 5's...useful and plentiful.
It seems like the 131 at least has the gizmocity factor of the flip over depth adjuster. The 130 is pretty basic.
JimBelair said:

[blockquote]dow said:

Thanks!
dow

Always nice to see before and after photos.

[/blockquote]
Sorry, Jim, but I didn't think about pictures until after I got started on it. Might could take some from this point on, as I really haven't done that much cleanup. I'll see what I can do once I get some time back in the shop.

Quote:

The 130 is the double-ended block plane. It is more of an oddity than a useful tool. It's an addition to a collection...but, I hope you didn't pay much for it. I read an article recently stating that unusual and rare tools are scarce for the reason that they weren't very useful and not many were sold. Kind of upside down to our first instinct; right? Number 4's and 5's...useful and plentiful.

Mike, I gave $16 for it, so no, I don't have much in it.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.