DC Trunk Lines and Blast Gates
I have to design my system with a Y connection right off the DC. I'm wonder if I should install a blast gate on each side - left and right in effect cutting off one of the runs when not needed. This main line blast gate would be in addition to each tool's blast gate.

Is there any value in having a main line blast gate? Would the system be more effective without having to pull air all the way from the tool's closed blast gates? Yes no?

Is this making sense?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear brighter until you hear them speak.

Let me state it again,

There will be no
duplication of work! - By order of the Office of Redundancy Office
when I had my DC setup with a Y right off the DC I put a gate on each Y.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Seems to me in an ideal world, there would be no need to do so. Once the vacuum was created in a sealed system, it shouldn't make any difference. On the other hand, in the real world, there is no such thing as a truly sealed system so maybe there is some advantage. On a practical level, speaking as a guy who just installed a central DC, I am all the time forgetting to open or close the blast gate when moving between machines, so having one more gate in line would prove a real annoyance.
I've got an 8" Y right at the cyclone, works just fine. Besides, I'm not going into the attic to play musical dust gates.
-
Ed
My main duct branches about 2 feet from the cyclone. i do not have blast gates at the fudge , mine are only at each machine. I have not ever had a situation where I thought isolating one side or the other would have been beneficial. In fact, just the opposite is the case. I often alternate between machines and open/close blast gates without shutting down the cyclone. Sometimes I have two gates open at the same time, frequently on opposite sides of the "Y". Having to open/close the two main trunks of my system would complicate the process by adding extra steps. I don't think isolating the two sides of the main trunk is necessary or helpful. This assumes that you are not losing a lot of vacuum in trunk lines and that your cyclone moves enough air to overcome any leakage that you have in the system.
ed kerns said:

I am all the time forgetting to open or close the blast gate when moving between machines, so having one more gate in line would prove a real annoyance.

That is exactly why I did this to my system. Green light indicates that a gate is open.

Momentary switch on each gate.

Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
No real reason to do so unless you have some serious leakage in the trunk lines. If these are 4" lines it probably doesn't matter at all.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.