delta 46-745 lathe chuck recommendation
I have the subject lathe and am in the market for a chuck. Any recommendations in the $200 price range? I dont do a lot of projects with my lathe so the chuck does not have to be the very best. Also how do I tell what size tread my lathe spindle has to attach the chuck. Thanks for all the helpful advise. Dennis
Looks to be a 1" 8TPI. Look to the chuck that has the most opportunity, in the way of Jaw sets. I'm NOVA, others have Vickmarks, Oneways and even no-names.

I follow the wedge philosophy with non-marring dovetail holds. Consider the mortise superior to the tenon on cross-grain, maybe a bit inferior on long grain. One guy turning for fun doesn't need quick-change jaws, so you can spare that expense. 1" Pin 2" and 3" jaws will do about anything.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The chuck is what keeps the piece of wood from flying off and hitting you up side the head. Spend your money wisely.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

The chuck with the help of the tailstock is what keeps the piece of wood from flying off and hitting you up side the head. Spend your money wisely.

Twinn

FIXT. Stand wisely, too.
The specs I saw stated 1.25 X 8 spindle. The diameter should be easy to measure, for the tpi measure from one peak of thread to one inch. If it is 8tpi it will be 9 since your are really measuring the valleys not the peaks. I have Novas and would suggest the SN2 in their line,. Toolsplus has it for $139 with shipping. You will need the 1.25x8 insert (another $20). Leaves a little bit for an additional set of jaws later on.
http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-chucks.html

There are other brands of quality chucks also.
MichaelMouse said:

[blockquote]theeviltwinn said:

The chuck with the help of the tailstock is what keeps the piece of wood from flying off and hitting you up side the head. Spend your money wisely.

Twinn

FIXT. Stand wisely, too.

[/blockquote]

Gee, I use the serrated jaws and a tenon. I never had a problem. I guess I've been doing it wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

Twinn
Will post for food.
i'll throw PSI's barracuda 2 into the mix.
So much for the belt. Now snug up the suspenders.

Oh yes, don't stand where it can get you is the first, and greatest commandment. Keep the toolrest close, and you get a little extra insurance even there.

If you can find the URL with the spindle size, good on you. All I could find was the manual, and I missed it in two skimmings.
PSI CSC3000C Barracuda