Hope chest problems
Hello all,

I recently visited the person who bought my last hope chest. I had built it to benefit a charity auction to support the Catholic Grammar school where I was ministering up in Connecticut.

The Hope chest is walnut, lined with thick cedar boards and finished with arm-a-seal and then 3 coats of semi-gloss seal-a-cell.

The inside of the chest has gotten these sticky deposits of something, maybe resin?

I'm not sure what is the cause nor what the solution might be.

I'm wondering if all the natural oils from the cedar are "pooling" into these resin deposits on the inside of the chest?

That strikes me as improbable but I have no clue as to what is going on.

The only thing that has been stored in the chest are blankets.

Here are some pics.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to figure out the cause and a way to clean it off without destroying the finish.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Peter is that oozing limited to the walnut?
The gas from the cedar is doing that. I would remove the finish inside the top and use shellac.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John Mihich said:

The gas from the cedar is doing that. I would remove the finish inside the top and use shellac.

Agree. The oils in the ERC are softening the finish on the Walnut...not unusual with that much Cedar in an enclosed box. John's advice to remove the existing finish and re-coat with shellac is good.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
mbw said:

Peter is that oozing limited to the walnut?

Great question.

If I remember (and I can double check) I think it is limited to the walnut.
Peter

My "day job"
Pink Floyd said:

[blockquote]John Mihich said:

Agree. The oils in the ERC are softening the finish on the Walnut...not unusual with that much Cedar in an enclosed box. John's advice to remove the existing finish and re-coat with shellac is good.

[/blockquote]

The oils won't react with shellac?

Should I refinish the entire chest?

Can I blend the finished (if I don't refinish the entire thing) so that the shellac matches the finish outside of the chest?
Peter

My "day job"
I'm assuming this was only on the inside. You don't have to redo all of it if it's just the inside. You could just strip the inside and wax it.

I suggested shellac because the off gassing is minimal and should not react to the gas from the cedar. I have used both shellac and lacquer for lids. I stay away from poly or oils for anything that will be enclosed.
John

We need to clean house.
John Mihich said:

I'm confused. Is the gas coming from the cedar or the finish? I never knew cedar outgassed...
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
http://www.rockler.com/how-to/apply-fini...ket-chest/
bhh provided the best answer.
John

We need to clean house.