Miter Jacks
Watched Benchcrafted's video of the LaForge Royale. Seems like a neat piece of gear.

How many of you use miter jacks and for what? What do you use to prevent yourself from screwing up the registration faces? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I used my miter jack last weekend. I was triming and fitting bases for 2 cherry cabinets Iam building. I initially cut the miters a bit proud on the tailed miter saw then used the miter jack to clean up the miters and get a perfect fit.

The registrations faces will get some wear, but not as much as some would think as long as you careful. I recently added a LN 164 to my collection and that worked great with the miter jack. Otherwise I will use block planes.

Really just need to be carefull with the plane with where you start and end the cut. I have heard that some will use tape on the surface to protect it, but I found that unecessary.

If you have ever wanted to try full blind DTs, the miter jact will make it easy to trim the miter on the outer edge of the joint using a shoulder plane.
I got a miter Jack a couple of months ago at an antique store. I used it a couple of weeks ago fitting the base moulding on a tool box that I'm building. I glued the long sides on and then fit the shorter end pieces using the miter jack trimming off a little at a time. You do need to be careful or you can run into the face.

A traditional way to trim a miter on the jack without damaging the face is to use a wide, long, chisel instead of a plane. Ground to 20 degrees the chisel will pare as well as a plane.